Ok I Am Freaked Out

katmad

is it possible for frozen food to come back to life????????

I have been feeding my fish frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp and when there has been some left over i have been throwing it in the pond for them to eat. However, i dont think it is getting eaten as the pond is currently green. i was netting a fish out of the pond to check on it (it has a patch of missing scales on its side) and have found bloodworms wriggling around in the net!!!

Oh my god i am so creeped out!!!!!!!!!! is this possible???

ive also found what i think might be brine shrimp, although it might be baby wcmm as i have some in the pond and they r always fat.

Help!!!!!!!!! :o

thanks

Edited by katmad

:D Ponds are where bloodworm come from naturally.

Frozen food can't come back to life.. I hope.. :lol:

Edit: sorry posted at the same time.. I dont know where the shrimp would have come from :unsure:

Edited by x-Lucy-Fish-x

I always found frozen bloodworm difficult to split into small enough portions to suit the ammount of fish I have so I opted for the tetradelicia brine shrimp and bloodworms in vitamin jelly.Never found any frozen food come to life tho.

Edited by Blue

ok the bloodworm thing is ok then, i think they r mosquito larvae or somethin arent they?? so i'm not too creeped out by them if they r supposed to be there.

But i am sure they are brine shrimp. and i put a bit of left over frozen brine shrimp in there the other day.

oh my god they've invented cryogenic freezing for fish food!!! hehe.

I suppose brine shrimp would die coz presumably they have to live in salt water, or 'brine' to live????

i have tried to take a pic but it's impossible, they r too small and quick

Edited by katmad

Yeah, mosquito larvae.

Aaaaactually, brine shrimp eggs are really hardy right? they can survive years of being dried out, so maybe they can survive being frozen and have hatched out in your pond?

Edit again: oh yea, salt water.. I dunno then.

Edited by x-Lucy-Fish-x

it is just too minging!!!

the shrimp thing has lots of little legs and three pointy bits like a tail. does that sound like brine shrimp?? it was kinda see thru with blackish stripes.

so technically any uneaten frozen food could come back to life??

surely it's not right to feed fish food that could come to life when its being eaten!!!!!!!!!?????

:o

should i stop feeding this food to my fish??

yeh i dont 'believe' that dead stuff can come bk to life, but what if they just 'survive' being frozen?? must b possible, there r shrimp in my pond!!!

i doubt that they came in on the plants, as the plats were only in shallow water with other plants. they dont keep the plants in with any animals in the shops i go to.

good suggestion tho.

i'm going to do an experiment, and keep some defrosted food cubes in some pond water for a few weeks and see if anything occurs. will update as the experiment goes on.

thanks for all your help. hope i can get to the bottom of this soon!!!!

no, frozen food cannot come back to life, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who has those gross little red wriggly worms in my pond. They're fly larvaes, specifically, tubifex worms. But, they're not midge fly larvae. Those larvae are called black worms. The stores sell 'em all under the same name though, that being Tubifex. I freaked out 'til I found out what they were. Then I was told, we pay a fortune for 'em in the store and here our fish are getting them for free! But, my fish could care less about them. Only thing, they're nicknamed the "sewer worm," cuz they grow in well, not so clean water that has lots of oxygen and circulation, but they don't hurt anything. It really just means you have a lot of probably fairly good bacteria growing in your water, at least as far as what fish like, remember... we also pay to add live bacteria to our water to cycle it... and you can't complain about lots of oxygen and circulation! They're disgusting, but they don't hurt anything.

Edited by lynda441

OHOHOHOHHH I just remembered something, I saw some little shrimp things like you are describing in the college pond, my exotics teacher said they were freshwater shrimp and an indication of good water quality. :unsure::D

hmm. well the experimet didnt result in anything but a waste of frozen food so thank god my fears were unfounded and i havent got freaky frozen food coming bk to life!!! Sorry to have freked out!!!! thanks for all your help and suggestions!!!!!

The "brine shrimp" might be daphnia, scuds or fairy shrimp but they are not brine shrimp, those are saltwater. All three of the above inverts are harmless and your fish will eat them. They could also be stonefly or mayfly larvae or some other insect larvae.

Daphnia

daphnia.jpg

Scud

new_pa16.gif

Fairy Shrimp

IPB Image