Sign in to follow this  
Erika

Look At What I Woke Up To!

Caeleb nagged me a couple months ago to get a couple tadpoles for the pond. We got 2 of them and then havent seen one of them for about a month, and saw one of them last week with its back legs. How suprised was I when I saw this little critter this morning? Also, I put an updated pic of the pond....note the pink lilly.

Now, what should I feed these frogs? :rolleyes:

DSCF2288.jpg

DSCF2287.jpg

DSCF2289.jpg

What a cute pic. Looks like he was posing for the camera

You have a gorgeous pond Erika.I love your frog :) .Frogs like flies and stuff like that.They also like crickets.

Thanks guys, I absolutely LOVE frogs (almost as much as turtles). He's really small, about 2.5 inches.

Blue, got any tips on how to feed him bugs with 7 monster fish in there? I was thinking about putting some of Gandalf's mealworms on a lilly pad and seeing if he gets them?

aww, he's very cute.. and the first frog I've ever seen actually sitting on a lily pad! :heart

If he's already that big I guess he's finding his own food, like slugs and flies and stuff.

Well, I haven't seen him before today, so I'm guessing that he's only JUST become a frog. I think I'd have noticed him before with as much as I'm out there feeding the fish, working on stuff, etc. He's out soooooo much!! I saw an episode of "Backyard Habitat" where these people were trying to attract frogs to their yard, and they made a fruit-fly breeding station.... I think I'm going to try something like that.

Here's something you might want to try breeding your own crickets.Other two links are full of froggy info :)

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/resourcesge.../a/crickets.htm

http://www.thefrog.org/nature/feeding/feeding.htm

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/frog3.htm#feed

Hope those links help you :)

Edited by Blue

:heart What a cutie pie!!! I can't believe he survived your monster fish! :lol:

And by the way Dear,Your Lilly is to die for! Looks so purty! :lol:

Cute! I'm with Devs, how did he managae to not end up dinner? :hmm He must be quick! Your lillies are beautiful by the way.

Well, when he was a tadpole, he was big. ABout 4 inches long. My fish are extremely well fed, and there's a lot of stuff underwater to hide in. None of my fish are full-grown koi or anything, so that helps!! The biggest fish in there is about 10 inches long.

The lilly is really cool, I expected that they only bloomed once a season, but man, I was waaaay off! That's probably the 5th bloom I've had in the past 3 weeks. The first time I saw the frog, he was hanging onto it. I didn't get a pic of that though cuz when I saw him, I freaked out and yelled "Jon, Caeleb, LOOOOK!!!!!!!" and he quickly took off!

Thanks for the links Blue, I've got some reading to do!

How cute. He'll take care of feeding himself so don't worry. I have 5 resident frogs at the moment (3 different kinds). Here in the winter they'll hibernate in the bottom of the pond.

We have two frogs so far but no pond :lol:

They eat slugs and other nasties in the garden

Aww hes cute!! The pond is gorgeous. I love the rock/slate you chose to go around it. The pink lily is devine! :heart

Thanks guys!

Erin, the stone is some sort of limestone that we took out of my mother in law's creek! We also got a geode the size of a basketball, it's in my garden.

Mr. Frog enjoyed sitting on the output tubes for the filter last night, and has been all over the lilly pads today. I'm really hoping that he stays by the pond and doesn't go wandering off in the yard. I don't want the dog to get him. So far, so good though. :)

Debi~ are your frogs in with fish? I just worry that any food will get eaten by the fish before he has a chance at it.

Well, I don't know what the deal is exactly, but Mr. Frog hasn't come out today. Well, Jon said that he saw him this morning around 8, but I haven't seen him once. :( He's usually out allllll day too, so I'm starting to think that something's happened to him. :unsure:

Actually he may be o.k. If it is as hot by you as it is down here ( and I think it probably is cause you are not that far away from me) He may be lying low under the water as much as possible to stay out of the hot sun.

Today actually was a tad bit cooler than most of the week, but yeah, still like 91 or so. I'm going to be obsessively watching for him tonight and tomorrow. Thanks Kris!

FROGS!......I live about 400 feet away from a 32 acre freshwater lake. So every year I am bombarded with frogs. I have had as high as seven at one time and some weighing close to two pounds! They are perfectly capable of finding food on their own. They will eat ANY moving thing in or around the pond. I have actually seen a frog with a small sparrow bird sticking halfway out of its mouth, unable to swallow it because the bird was too large. They are wonderful to have around as insect controllers but be wary; they can and WILL eat fish if they can get them. I allow them to stay at my pond until they become too large.

Several years ago I removed a huge frog from my pond because it ate a smaller frog. I took it back to the lake quite a distance away and remarkably he was back at my pond the next day! I guess he didn't want to leave my pond and his easy access to food. I ended up taking him to another lake that was about 1/2 mile away......he hasn't found his way back yet :P

Erika, forgot to say that your lily is BEAUTIFUL !!!!! Do you know the variety and name of that lily?

I honesly have no clue. I got it at Lowe's, and it was marked as a white lilly, but nope, it's pink!! I wish I could be more help, all I do know is that it was extremely reasonably priced (less than the $20 pricetag most around here have) and it's been extremely healthy! It puts new pads up constantly, but the fish end up snipping away at them till they unattach. :rolleyes:

Uhm Can I have the FROG PLEASE?!! :lol: The pond is looking great Erika.. :)

I was just out tonight in mom's pond and found a small frog darting around in there.

:heart such a cutie

that pond looks great :)

Edited by emmaandkat

Well, he's back! I came outside this morning and he got hissy with me and jumped back into the water. WHEW!!!

I'm glad your frog is back Erika and your pond looks great with the plants and the sandstone.

Thanks Annette! I just won 20 hyacinth plants on ebay for .99 cents too! I feel badly for the frog cuz he doesn't have much to hide in. Alllll that hyacinth should be wonderful for him. :)