Aquatic Plants - Little Plastic Pot/frame Things?

mrbumblebee

Just a few question guys. Some of you will know that I've not had much luck with live plants before. I don't bother in my goldies tank, but would like to try again with my Betta tanks.

I was just looking around my LFS today and I noticed they had some plants "bunched" with a little metal clips and some other ones planted into a little sponge type block inside a little plastic pot/frame with holes.

Can I put these straight into a tank (after cleaning) or do they have to be removed from the pot and planted?

Will the little sponge thing rot or break down over time? And do I have to plant the pot directly into the gravel or just sit it on top. Apologies if these seem obvious, but I'm not a "planty" person! :D

BTW The plant I want to try again is Java Fern, I have used it in the past tied to bogwood but I don't really like bogwood anymore and I'm looking for fairly easy fool-proof planting if possible! :rolleyes:

Hi Mrbumblebee. Thanks for your excellent suggestion of a live bamboo plant for my betta . I just have the roots under the glass marbles and have his 2 gallon vase sitting on my nightstand under a lamp in the frontroom. That way it warms his water a little and gives the plant enough light to thrive. It has worked so far knock on wood

I was thinking about trying a Bamboo Kris, but I do really like Java Fern because my old betta Basil used to love sitting on the nice wide leaves :P

I wish I could just get someone to plant my tanks for me and tell me what to do to loook after them and I'd do it! I just can't seem to get them to work so I thought potted plants would be good for me? :unsure:

I maybe wrong but I thought I read a thread on here about being able to leave them in the little pots they come in in the tank. I guess you could put the gravel or stones around it or over the base to cover it up. Sorry I am not of much help.

Hi Mrbumblebee . I did some searching and found this article on java ferns. Maybe it will help

http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_javafern.php

http://www.netpets.com/fish/reference/fres.../javafern2.html

I also found this link which says they should be attached to wood.

http://www.aquabotanic.com/fernsanubias.htm

Thankyou Kris!

I did have a Java Fern on bogwood before and it did look pretty, but I just didn't like the wood, also it pulled my Ph down a bit and the wood coloured the water very slightly.

From reading those it seems the roots do need to be left fairly exposed, so I wonder why the LFS' have them in this sponge stuff, I'm assuming it will still live and grow that way? They look lush and green, that's what attracted me over to the plant tanks today :)

Anyone else know about potted Jav Fern?

Its your choice if you want to keep the plant in the pot or not. My opinion is that they stick the majority of the plants into those sponge pots just to charge more ;) With Java fern, you have a lot of choices of how to plant it, but the most important thing is to keep its rhizome uncovered or else it will rot. The rhizome is the thick green horizontal stem which the roots grow from. You can keep it in the pot or bury the roots in gravel, but just make sure the rhyzome never gets burried. I think java fern look nicest tied to an object. I share your dislike for real driftwood...actually I hate it now! I tried the real stuff and it rotted in my tank. I chucked it and bought fake resin driftwood from vvvv. Topfin sells really nice fake driftwood in numerous shakes colors and sizes, but its only available at vvvv. You can attatch it to any other textured rock or ornament too...all you need is a little fishing line to safely hold it in place. Good luck with the java fern, they are one of my favorites too.

Thankyou very much Kissy!

The "rhizome" seems to be pushed quite deeply into the sponge thing, is this still ok? So I guess I should leave the top of the sponge thing exposed to the water?

I bought some fake solid resin driftwood a little while ago as well just for decoration and for the Bettas to hide behind/sit on, I also have it for my Pygmy cories to hide in/around. I was thinking about tying some Java Fern or Moss to it again as you suggested.

The main reason I want to try live plants again is to try and keep my nitrAtes down, because in my 10 gals in even with regular water changes and regulated lighting, I'm getting massive algae growth. Plants help to use up the nitrAtes right?

I gonna have to think this through a bit more :)

You really do have to watch when using any Driftwood.Trust me,with all the Bristlenoses I have-I know this. :lol: Most Driftwood has to be boiled so that the tannins will leach out and not turn your water yellow or murky,and even then,sometimes it may happen for a bit.

I've been really lucky with the wood not rotting.In my Common Pleco tank,the huge Driftwood is at least 6 or 7 years old and still looks really good.It does pull your Ph down a bit though.That's not a big problem because most of the wood is in my tropical tanks,

Okay so now that I gave my two cents on Driftwood :lol:

Right now,I have Anubia's attached to Real Driftwood/Fake Driftwood,and I also have a few smaller type Anubia's attached to some smooth River Rocks,and I have a Bridge covered in java moss.It takes a while before they finally attach,but for once I've had patience,and it's working. :lol:

As Kissy mentioned,it's all about not covering up the rhizome.I also have them growing in sand in my Tropical tank by the way.That's a bit harder to do because you can't bury it too deep so every time I turned around my loaches were uprooting it.The good thing though is that the other day,I spotted new roots growing so that' is a good thing. :D

Plants do help to eat the Nitrates up,but I think you may need quite a few for that to work like you want it too. :)

Thanks for the information Devs!

I think I'll have to go back to my LFS again to see what they have and to get some more inspiration. I want to keep things quite simple if I can. I'd love to try live plants again, but fake ones feel so much more safer in a way, even if they don't look quite so good :)

Try some elodea. That does well in tropical tanks and you can cut off the branches when they get long enough and re plant.

As for Java fern I have loads of it in my tanks and its all on bogwood, though its grown so much you cant see the wood.

Get a rock like kissy says and tie it with either fishing line or elastic band and it will take in no time.

I prefer potted plants as they have an established root system You can either take them out or leave them in the pot. The leaded ones just take that away and plant where needed.

Thanks Devs! When Sandy suggested it I did a Google search and I could have sworn the picture looked just like anacharis! :lol: Now I know

I have fake plastic anacharis in my goldies tanks, I like it a lot - it can float on the surface as well can't it? Might give that a go too :)