Sign in to follow this  
Mav

Goldfish Sling For Flotation

I remember seeing, at one point or another in the last 2 years or so, a picture that somebody had taken of a sling they had made for their fish, out of a hair elastic, some fishing line, and a bobber, or something like that combination of items.

The idea was, the fish had swimming problems, and couldn't float to the top. It was probably a swim bladder problem, but the likely problem was that the SB had water instead of air in it.

So this person made the sling for the fish, so it would provide floatation, so that the fish could move around, and not be stuck on the bottom.

My redcap and I went to the vet this morning, and the vet basically said, It was a swim bladder problem [i am skeptical if said vet would ever say much else beyond that, but...], and of course, there's nothing you can do about it.

Here's the thing: The fish still likes his food. He still has normal gill function. He can't get his food normally, because he's stuck on the bottom, on his side or his back, but I can hold him, and swim him through the water, as it were, to get food, and he'll happily eat whatever is front of him. So that's not an issue.

I have caught some distinct protests from him, as he tries to right himself from time to time, and they consist of "Mom! I don't like this!" [He's in a mini-bow tank I have for isolation purposes, I'm trying to see how his digestive system is working] "I want to swim about, and bug Inky!" So he's not exactly acting 100% sick. I know he's not *well*, but he hasn't given up yet, either.

So I couldn't put him to sleep, not when he seems like he'd try and fight this. So I thought of the sling, and I think that would be perfect for him. If only I can find out who made it, or the post about it, so that I can see how exactly they put the pieces together and whatnot, so that I can get this made and him back to something resembling normalacy.

Any help from people with better memories than me, or who have made these things in the past, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mav

Mav info on that in link I put in your other post along with a wealth of swim bladder help. :)

Not sure if this is the same thing as the link Blue gave you in your other post, but is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.sullivanet.com/misc/fishie/addy...s-schematic.gif

http://www.sullivanet.com/misc/fishie/time...dy-2004-sep.jpg

http://www.sullivanet.com/misc/fishie/time...dy-2005-mar.jpg

http://www.sullivanet.com/misc/fishie/addy...-schematic2.gif

Main site link: http://www.sullivanet.com/misc/fishie/ Addy is the fish with the sling, although I think she passed away :-(

And also a link to a thread where slings were discussed here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...=47094&hl=sling

That said, most of the experts here think the sling is probably not a good idea as it would remove lime coat and possibly cause sores/ulcers, I have no opinion since I have never had a fish with sbd and am still new to fishkeeping, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Either way, good luck with your fish, I am glad you are not giving up on him!

Guest EdK

That said, most of the experts here think the sling is probably not a good idea as it would remove lime coat and possibly cause sores/ulcers, I have no opinion since I have never had a fish with sbd and am still new to fishkeeping, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Addy's owner has already disproved that, which I pointed out. She had hers out of soft 100% cotton felt. The slime coat then coated the inside with slime, and causing no further complications. Problem solved.

The problem is constructing one that fits perfectly, and is easy enough to get on the fish quickly and hold the fish inside it for a long time. It's not easy. I started trying a long time ago and have since given up because my system couldn't handle the stress. I'm at a very delecate time in my life, to be honest, so I'm just too occupied. If you have more time on your hands, are very brave, and can handle the stress, than you might be successful. And when you've finished yours, I'll hire you to do mine.

I'm certain it can be done, but I doubt I can do it. Try. It's better than not. Honestly, I think the reason I failed was because I did it on my own, with only the help of a very likeminded person, and a few mostly disbelieving but well-intentioned long distance people. So, if you have any questions, ask, and find some people to help you where you are.

Anyone with more information about this; PLEASE!!!!! POST!!!!!! I could use it , too, as well as more and more people.

Good luck!

Edited by EdK

i saw one of these on tv a while ago and the lady had a black moore with the same problem she used these

2 rolls of soft fabric and put one in front of the ventrical(? the ones on the bottom) and the other roll went behind those fins and she used fishing line to tie those together and thenmade the string long enough and tied it at the top to a peice of styraphome(sp?) and it would swim up and down sorry if the explanation isnt very good but i dont know how to put a drawing on here so that is the best i can do.

Thanks for all the input guys...

Unfortunately, I can't use it, as Sir Talks-A-Lot passed away sometime yesterday afternoon while I was at work. At least he was at home, in his tank, and with his friend Inky, instead of by himself at some vet's office.

--Mav :cry1