The Use Of Salt As A Preventative

I have always used aquarium salt in my 30 gallon fancy goldfish tank, but now I have read that it isn't a good idea to use salt all the time. I use 1 tablespoon to 5 gallons of water, as the salt box advises for general use. I have been told that salt should be reserved for medicinal application or it can lose its impact when your fish are really sick. However, it does help keep the nitrite levels down and stimulate the development of slime coating at the .1 level. So, is it good or not to use salt at some level all the time? Also, if I want to use java moss and anubias, is salt in the water harmful?

I'm against using salt as a preventative. We already have enough salt resistant parasites in our aquatic world :( Salting at .1% temporarily while cycling will help reduce the toxic effects of nitrite on your fish, but you shouldn't use it any other time unless your fish is hurt or sick. Remember goldfish don't come from salty water so it is not natural to them in the first place.

.1% salinity will probably not harm those plants, but they will do better without it, especially long term.

Archived