Sign in to follow this  
Blue

Baking Soda

As I am having major probs with my Lionhead I have found major prob with my water my pH is 6.4 KH is 0d GH is <3d.I desperately need to save this fishes life as he is constantly bottom sitting except when tub is approached he comes to surface.

Besides Dolomite stone,marble chips or calcium carbonite to raise my pH I hear baking soda can also achieve this.Is baking powder same as soda or are they differant?

I am now seriously considering dumping my QT rule and moving him to main tank in my isolation netting tank as at least its params are stable.

I'm not prepared to watch this fish die.I've put pH up in with him pH hasn't gone up yet tho as just tested.

However if baking soda will aid my problem I'll do it.Question is how?

I wish I could find that chart that had exactly the readings of how much the baking soda would raise the kH/pH of a tank per dose.... but I cannot seem to.

However, empirical tests will give you this information, and it will be more accurate than a chart anyway.

You can add baking soda to your replacement water (or the tank) to raise the kH and the pH of your tank. It works very well.

I would suggest drawing an amount (1, 5 or 10 gallons of water) and testing amounts of baking soda on it. If 1/8 tsp raised the pH/kH of 1 gallon to 7.0, then you can easily calculate what amount you would need for a larger tank.

I use RO right - a Kent Marine product that adds gH to a tank. This will take your gH up a bit for you, supplying many of the minerals and such that fish likes to have for good health. IT is not as essential as the kH is, though. Without proper buffer (kH) you have no hopes of having a cycled tank remain stable in pH readings.

The baking soda will do the trick - you just need to figure out the recipe. Dissolve the soda into a bit of water and add it to your bucket/tank.

They sell various products which do this too, but baking soda is so readily available and cheap that, when needed, I choose to use it.

Played about with it managed to get pH from 6.4 up to 6.6 aim is to get 6.8 as thats my tanks norm.Plus getting pH up will have helped my Lionhead a little I hope.