Coal In Fishtank

anyone ever heard of or tried using coal as decorating rocks in their tanks, I read today that this is one type of rock you can use, obviously you probably would have to wash it well first, but would it continue to leak black? I guess it kinda makes sense cause essentially its just like carbon isnt it? but I was thinking the black colour would look really striking in the tank...

I too don't think it would be a good idea. Don't have any articles on it but common sense would warn against it.

Yes it would continue to have black residue, simply because that is what it is. Not sure if it would be harmful or just inconvienent with making a mess, but I again would say no on it.

I have heard a few people using it in Malwai tanks,but I personally have not used it myself. I was trying to google more info about using coal itself,but it kept taking me to carbon and aquariums. :blink:

I finally did find an article on "Aquarium Safe Rocks",and Coal was NOT included. Here's the article.

http://www.uniquaria.com/articles/sr.html

:)

It would act like a huge carbon filter wouldnt it? And with it being carbon I would think over time it would decay quite quickly and alter the chemistry.

I think that theres all different types of coal though and im sure theres one type that you could use but not the normal every day stuff.

thanks. I see from the link that coal is treated with chemicals...probably to make it burn better or something. anyway I wont be using it..Im just always on the lookout for cheaper solutions to decorating tanks and soforth....things marketed specifically for aquariums cost a packet :rolleyes:

Whew! I am glad you decided against that! My *warning signals* were firing off like crazy!! There are really great rocks in the Home Improvement stores. I am planning on getting some natural pebbles later. They are MUCH cheaper in the H I store, as apposed to a pet store! I am pretty sure I even saw black rock!

thanks for the link about the scoria rock, had never heard about it or seen it anywhere...but would like to find some....I love the holes in it, :rofl dont worry jeanna727 :rofl I wont be using the coal, anyway Id never do anything i wasnt sure about without checkin' with the fish experts here!