Ripped Tail And Fins

jsrtist

I have a 10 gallon tank with a Whisper 2-5 submersible filter on it. Its heated and is home to my double tail betta Claude and my large apple snail as well as some small pest snails. Claude is fat, happy and healthy but Im really concerned because his fins and tail are just shredded. Its not finrot. Its been like this for months and wont heal. The only thing I can think is that theres too much current. Ive done everything I can think of to cut down the flow?Ive plugged it with filter floss to disperse the flow, turned the flow down to low, raised it, lowered it, everything. I even put lots of plants arond it. He was so much happier the first few days I had him in there with no filter. I feel bad for him. Does anyone have suggestions for smaller filters, or filters with less flow? I wouldnt be so concerned about how well its fitlering if it wasnt for the snail?hes huge and messier than a goldfish!

What about using a foam filter, the kind used in goldfish fry tanks? They are operated with an air pump and don't add much current at all. Also, they are only about $10 cdn., so not a big investment if you end up not liking it.

I think Hagen makes one.

Thanks, I was actually thinking of one of those. The only problem is, my big apple snail is as messy as (or even more than) a goldfish! :( So I think I need something more mechanical than that? who knew snails could be so messy!?

Right now I just turned my filter off, and hes swimming around happily and doesnt seem nervous. I have another filter Im goign to try, a Rio HOB filter thats adjustable. Im hoping i can turn down the flow really low on it.

Have you ever seen the filter material that comes like a sheet? It looks like a sheet of the stuff that Whisper filters are made of? I have cut that into a square and put it in front of the outflow of my AquaClears. I hang it down in front of the flow, and kind of tuck it under the lid. I extend it down a few inches into the water. It really cuts down on the flow a lot.

I know you mentioned using filter floss, but I think this stuff is better.

Too bad about the snail, because the sponge filters are great if you don't want current. I used them with my goldfish fry and they worked very well.

Let me know how you make out with the Rio hob :)

I hooked up the Rio and so far it seems to be doing very well. Not too much current and Claude is just kind of hanging out in front of it. :) The only problem is, this tank is right next to our bed and the Rio is SO much noisier than the other one! I didnt even consider that. I may switch it over to one of my other Whispers later on, I havent decided. I'll see what hubby says about the noise first!

Funny you mention the filter pad idea, thats EXACTLY what i have on my other betta tank! I felt so creative, thought I had come up with that one on my own. Great minds think alike!

Archived