Medaka

sandy

Does anyone on here keep them?

I recently went to a petshop and in the cold water tanks I saw these tiny fish called rice fish. The only googling ive found has not yielded the fish im after. It was around half an inch long and grey/brown in colour with a blue flash to the bottom of the tail and going through to the main body.

Im thinking about getting a few but need info on them.

Anyone?

Never heard of 'em sandy, but could this be what you're looking for?

www.grisda.org/tstandish/teachers/labs/fishdev.doc

[edit] oops, copied wrong link. this one has a little more info, but you're right, there isn't much to find out there.

http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/summary/Speci...ary.php?id=4669

hope that helps.

Edited by balashark

yea, i saw that on the website. at least it's not a dyeing process. sounds like they inject the embryo (with jellyfish dna?), instead of injecting a juvenile fish (with colored dye).

• 3 weeks later...

sandy- medaka is a Japanese name for a killifish. I have only ever seen the blue and red kind here in Japan. They are very popular and quite hardy. Very shimmery and pretty too :)

sandy- medaka is a Japanese name for a killifish. I have only ever seen the blue and red kind here in Japan. They are very popular and quite hardy. Very shimmery and pretty too :)

They are called killifish by some people but they aren't related to the killifish family, they are in the ricefish family. Here is some more info that might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oryzias_latipes

Thanks for the link Sandtiger. The blue neon flash was at the start of the tail and went half way along the side.

Would it be wrong to buy genetically altered fish?