Sign in to follow this  
Guest SuiSui

Fish Behavior

Guest SuiSui

I just came back from work and it was feeding time for my black moor and fantail. I know fish do compete for food but this was the first time I saw the both of them pushing one another under their butt or sides, a little chasing, and more pushing. I also noticed that my black moor, Filmoor is very "protective" of his glass dish. Could this be competition for territory as well?

They're both really small( 1 1/2inches - 2inches) in a 20 gallons plastic tank (similar to rubbermaid, but the brand is called Sterilite)

There's two filters (Aqua Clear 20 and 50), 2 air pumps (one air pump for 10 gallons another for 40-80 gallons)

The water is fully cycled (to my joy and relief)

Is this kind of behavior normal?

Yes - it is quite common for fish to do that. Most do it only occasionally, some do it for a precursor to breeding activity.

It does not always mean that the chaser is male and the chasee is female, though. They could both be males or both be females, or the female may be the chaser.....

AS long as no one is hurt, it is just normal behavior. :)

Guest SuiSui

What a relief. Seeing them push one another like that made me go :krazy:

What other behaviors can a fish have?

WAAAAAY to many to go into, blind. Fish can recognise their people - and will dance and greet you. So many have such different personalities. I have big babies - gentle giants. I have bullies and gang leaders. I have ones that are friends to all. They play games in the bubble disks and wands rising bubbles. They smack and splash as a "request" for food.

Goldfish are living jewels, full of personality and grace and humor. :)

Daryl is right about the different fish behaviors! I have two very different fish. When I come home from work, one is usually awake, and looking at the door, and letting me know in no uncertain terms what he thinks [where have I have been, he's hungry!]. The other is usually asleep.

The one that sleeps a lot is much more mellow -- he has his corner of the tank, with his rocks, and his plants, and he spends a fair amount of his time there. I have described him to other people as 'shy'.

The one that is waiting for me is very talkative [his name is Sir Talks-A-Lot for that reason], allows himself to be hand-fed things like peas, and often follows me around the room by swimming to whatever corner/side of the tank is facing me.

Mine tend not to be so territorial, at least, not that I've seen, but then again, I only have 2 of them.

The worst behavior I've had is that the talk-y one has been known to spit water at me from time to time if I'm not fast enough with the food. I don't *think* he's aiming for me, but with him, you never know.

--Mav

what does it mean when the fish "yawns"? like..his mouth is WIDDDE open..and his fins are stretched out to its fulist....could they actually feel tired and yawn like humans?

Guest SuiSui

Well I just did a water reading and the nitrites are back! Fish poop on a stick! It's been over a month now... the water was pristine 2 days ago and now the nitrite sky rocketed today.... close to 1ppm! I'm not sure what caused it... maybe it's the heat, maybe it's the carbon that's no good anymore, maybe the rocks I'm using as gravel is pretty much making my water unstable?

Can water quality cause fighting behaviors?

Question out of topic: Is carbon really a necessity? Some filters only has sponges and ceramic noodles.