Sign in to follow this  
emmaandkat

The Heat

In england we have had really hot weather

and ive lost two of my fish while its been hot, both fit and healthy (well bubbles was kind of if you forget that he swims upside down) it cant have been the water because they both died a couple of days after ater changes and treatment to the water, but i have noticed the temperature of the tank isnt very cool and sometimes is very hot

could this be the reason for me loosing two of my fish one of them being the strongest out of the lot?

and how do i cool the water down?

Goldfish and other fish can tolerate a fair amount of heat in their tanks as long as there is sufficiant oxygen for them. Warmed water holds less oxygen, so as the temps go up, the air in the water drops. Soon the fish are gasping at the surface.

Add in any gill compromise or other problems and a fish can die from the heat.

Add to this the fact that the beneficial bacteria that make up your cycle need oxygen to do their work. Without it to combine, they cannot create nitrates from ammonia. The cycle will slow and you may get ammonia or nitrite readings - stressing the already stressed fish further.

I would not be too worried about the water until it starts to get up into the 80sF or about 28C or so. That is about the level when you should be doing some serious additions to the water.

Add in an extra aeration device - extra bubble bars or stones. Lower your water level a bit so the return of the filter splashes the surface water. Take off your hood and blow a fan across the water's surface. Do not turn on any lights in the tank - even flourecent lights add heat.

Extra oxygen will go a loooooong way to preserving your fish's health and life.

Listen to Daryl! Her advice is very good.

It's been very hot in Montana, and doing the 3 main things she suggested -- using the bubble bar, lowering the water level so the filter overflow splashes a bit more, and running a fan -- I've gotten the fish tank to pretty much stay at 78-80 F, which is impressive, given that it's been 95-100 F here for the last several days.

Both of my fish seem less sluggish than they did a few days ago, and I think it's because their tank is more or less close to the temperature it's supposed to be.

--Mav

we do have an oxygen pump and the overflow with the filter no lights and the lid off but where the tank is we cant use a fan, i might try and find a place much cooler than my bedroom to move them to

Guest helen85

Sorry to hear about your fish, i live in england also and the heat has being getting to me fish too. the water is also low but there is a hosepipe ban and i cant fill it up any.

That's some great advice Daryl! The only thing I can think to add is that regular old frozen water bottles work well too. :) Good luck with your fish! ^_^

eugh, the weathers changed now and its dark and gloomy <_<

I know how you feel hun. All my tanks are very hot right now...

Im keeping the lights off after only about 3 hours during the morning.....Keeping the tank lid cracked....If it gets any hotter here I will have to find a clip on fan to clip on to the tank and blow air across the tank so it can cool them off....Also when it gets hotter the other way to help them is to make sure there filters are in good working condition because more debris in the tank can cause a problem for them too cause the nitrates will take up some of the oxygen..... As well as Algae :(

Also remember if you have plants in there, they can help during the day for oxygen but at nite they will give off the opposite and can hurt your fish if the tank temp is to high and has less o2 in it :(