New Tank

Lynn

:huh: /1.How to get the 75gal tank out of the car all by myself and up the stairs. My hubbie has taken my daughter out so I can set it up for her (in my room). It is her Christmas wish. 2. Then fill up with water. 3. Then what do I do next? :thud

Get someone to help you with carrying the tank so you don't break it! :-)

Seriously consider whether you want gravel or bare-bottom because I just took all my gravel out (4 month established tank) and am having cloudy water issues.

Your daughter is lucky, the tank will be so beautiful and her fish will be happy in their new home!

Most definetaly get a helper, I had my GF help me move mine in--heavy sucker.

Make sure you have enough room in the back for filters or whatnot. Once it's

filled with water it isn't moving, 75 gal tank is roughly 750 pounds of weight.

Guest marcojv

Maybe you could bring one of her friends in on it and have her go visit them, thats what my parents did one time when I was a kid and they wanted to surprise me with a present.

Too late, we just carried it in and let her help with the set up. It is now up and running. Cann't wait until tomorrow to put the fish in. Hafe of the Butterfly Kois from the 55 gal tank and five from her 20 gal. That will leave 5 in the 20 gal. I know, I know, that is too many, but just until spring. I keep hearing about these poeple bring their pond fish in for the winter. Why can I not have a few too many in my tank, just for a short time. Where do they put all the pond fish? What size tank? Isn't over crowed?

Why not get a neighbour to help you bring it in.. and, is it in pieces? like stand and lid and stuff? the logical thing to do would to take one at a time :)

Maybe you should buy a siphon, and siphon it out, or, you could try and use buckets. I used buckets of water for my 55 gallon :o

Then... cycle it. Depends, what fish you are getting.. I have gravle floor, and my fish are commons and a shubunkin, and i just gravel vacuum it twice a week. Or, you could go for the bigger river rocks. It is nice if you have a background. A bubble wall, or airstone, or anything that brings oxygen into the tank.

I have a bubble wall and a ship ornament, which both blow bubbles. And, id try to get fake plants, but when you leave on a holiday, try to get live plants so they can feed off them.

Hope it helps :)

~Nick

:lol My hubbie is not going on the trip, so he will feed them. I don''t have a back ground yet, coming soon. Bare bottom, I like it the best. I use a bucket to fill and change water, lots of trips. I have fake ref, no bubbes ship, and fake plantes in 75 gal, hubbie wantn't let me put real plants. Fake draft wook,and real plants in 55 & 20 gal., I love real plant. I have a bubble wall thing, but no pipe, again coming soon, next payday. I have to buy some people Christmas stuff too, mot all fish love( I will never understand why not). Not all for my self or I mean my daughter. It is so nice to be able to buy want ever YOU LIKE for your kid and they love it. ;) I will post pic soon. Leaving to day for Holiday, back Monday. See you guys soon. lol Lynn

Thank you, touchofsky. I have been wanding how you guys did it. And with my over crowding getting worst. My sister just gave me the most bautiful pearl butterfly 8in koi I ever seen. Her name is Sue. I am already over stocked. I was so happy to get Sue. I thought I would put her and maybe some of the other in the tubs. Can I use a 5-15 pump? Do you have any thing in the tubs? Like real plants. I have fourteen, 5in butterflys in two tanks. One is 55gal and the other is 75gal

My tubs are in my basement which is quite cold. At the moment it is about 50 f. there. So, I have been using sponge filters powered by small air pumps. The sponge filters don't require a big pump, something suitable for even a 10 gallon tank will power them.

I am not sure about the effect of the cold on the bio bugs, but since I put the sponge filters in the tubs the water is much clearer. The fish seem very healthy and are actually more active than I would have thought in that temperature. I am only feeding very sparingly, and once the temp. drops below 50, I will stop feeding.

I have one light over the tubs on a timer. I don't have real plants in the tubs, but have floated a few silk plants in them.

The big Rubbermaid tubs (such as the 50 gallon size) will start to bow out from the pressure of the water. I would probably go with several smaller ones :)

I have put up a 20gal. tube, with a heater and air stone. I am going to put some of the little kois and Sue in the it. If you haven't meet Sue, she is a Christmas gift form my sister. She is about 8-10ins Pearl Butterfly koi. How many can I put in one of these tubes? The kois are growing. They are about 3-4ins now.

Here is a pic of my new baby. His name is Sue and another white/gold koi. :lol1 Sue was a Christmas gift from my sister in Al. I drove over four hours. Now her eyes are white. Dose any one know what happen? Will they stay and will he be blind? :huh:

post-11-1071878238.jpg

I think the cloudy eyes can be caused by various things, such as poor water quality, bacterial problems, and medications.

I think with very good water they will clear up. I haven't dealt with this problem, maybe some others have some suggestions :)

Archived