Fin Rot

kila

Hi guys,

My Oranda Chloe has been having a few problems since she came home from the LFS a few months ago.

She has constant red streaks in her tail that perfect water is not helping. I dosed her with Anti Bacterial medicines and that didn't resolve the matter either as she didn't finish her treatment due to a major cycle crash. I noticed this morning that she has a severe case of Fin Rot starting to develop. I am so worried for her.

I have a cycled 20 Gal hospital tank that I can move her into.

The problem is with the Anti Bacterial medication I have. As with most others that I know of, it messes the cycle up badly.

This particular medication need to be left for 4 days, and then the second dose added for an further 4 days.

So that's 8 days of treatment but the Cycle starts to crash after 2 days of this med. By day 3 the Ammonia starts to spike at 1ppm. I can't have her in these conditions, she'll die.

So what do I do? Massive water change every 2 days and re-add the amount of med I took out? I'm frightened I will not calculate this correctly and she will suffer as a consequence.

Any thoughts? What do you guys do?

Thanks in advance for your help. X

I should add that I'm in Italy and unfortuantely can't get my hands on Melafix or products like it.

I use British products.

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 30 (due a change)

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 8.0

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.4

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 120 US Gal, running for 5 months

What is the name and size of the filter/s? 3 Filters, filtered up to X9 (I'm getting there!)

How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 50%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 fish, from two inches to eight inches

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Sera

Any medications added to the tank? No

Add any new fish to the tank? Yes, Leo, Oranda just out of quarantine.

What do you feed your fish? Hikari, Sera, Tetrafin, peas, gelfood

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Chloe has had a streaked red tail since I got her. Perfect water isn't helping and now she has Finrot. She must have a stubborn bacteria.

# Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? No, just as above

Edited by kila

It does sound as if the antibacterial treatment is the way to go with Chloe. The fact that it will kill your cycle is a pain in the tank!

When ever I have to use meds that are going to kill the cycle, I do one of two things. I move the fish to as small a tank as possible - a 20 sounds really good, but a 10 will do if the fish is REALLY small.

Cut WAAAAAAAAY back on the feeding schedule. Feed her VERY lightly only every other day or every 3rd day. YOu can even fast her for the duration of the meds if you need to. Less food in means less ammonia out. She is not skinny or having trouble with nutrition - she is dealing with fin rot, right? So stop feeding her except for the bare minimum.

Take the beneficial bacterial laden filter media out of the filter. Stick it in the big tank to keep viable for the treatment time. It will stay happy and healthy there, waiting for you.

Hang the filter on the qt tank for mechanical filtration, but do not worry about trying to keep any biological filteration at all.

Do you have any products like Prime or Amquel available to you? These will bind excess ammonia from the water, rendering it non-toxic. They can go a LONG way towards getting a fish through an uncycled time.

Now comes the choice of two courses of action....

1. You can treat the water, adding Prime if you can get it. You then change out as much water - even 100% if you can - tub to tub if you wish - every day. Add back in the meds to the water at the end of the change. This course of action will not give the same dose as the package dictates, for most antibiotics cease to work after about 24 hours. I am assuming the meds are supposedly allowed to decline before another dose is given. This course will give you a constant level of meds. Since I do not know the active ingredient in your meds, I do not know if this is a reasonable choice.

2. You can treat the water, adding Prime if you can get it. You will then change out only as much water as you need to in order to keep the water parameters in healthy conditions. Skip adding additional meds if you find you have to change any water. Just keep track of the days, and add the next dose of meds at the 4 day limit.

Since your cycle seems to stay intact for several days, you potentially have the option to stop feeding her (or cut dramatically back), and keep her in the cycled tank. With very little ammonia going into the water, it may stay clean enough for the first 4 days. Then the second four days, you can only change what water you truly need to change to keep the water as clean as possible. With little food (little ammonia) and possibly Prime, you may make it OK with the miniumum of changes.

I think I would start populating extra media in your large tank's filter - media that can be used to replace the damaged biological cycle in the qt tank when the meds are done. It probably will be a very good idea to continue to quaratine Chloe for a while following treatment to make sure it worked. 20 gallons is a lot easier to keep pristine in a cycled tank, and you may find that you will have to retreat.....

Thank you very much for your detailed response Daryl.

Your opinion is, as always, both highly valued and greatly appreciated.

I will report back with Chloe's progress over the next couple of weeks.