Floating Goldfish

Guest Kayla

Guest Kayla

My goldfish just today started floating at the top of the tank. Sometimes he tries to swim down but eventually just floast again. He's in a 10 gallon tank and is the only fish. He's (supposedly) a chocolate oranda. I haven't even had him a month so I haven't cleaned his tank yet, plus it isn't very dirty. I heard that this is caused by them eating food that floats and the oxygen gets in their stomachs. Is this really serious or no? And is there a way to fix it?

Also he likes to ride the bubbles up to the top of the tank. Could that have maybe caused anything?

Edited by Kayla

Kayla... could you please try to answer as many questions as you can that you see at the top of this thread that you've started. We can only help you clearly with that information. Once you post that you will get a quick response so please try your best and we'll keep an eye out for your response. You say that your tank is only a month old... do you know if it's cycled?

As far as you saying that you haven't cleaned your tank yet... do you mean you haven't cleaned the ornaments and glass? Have you been doing your weekly partial water changes?

Swim Bladder disease is caused by poor water conditions and is really prominent in Fancy Goldfish with globular shaped bodies. It can also be brought on by food that hasn't been soaked... therefore air getting into their bodies. There are lots of remedies for SBD .... there isn't a guarantee though. Usually once you have a floaty fish... it always has a tendency to float.

My Oranda has a problem because of poor water during it's cycling phase when I first got the tank a few years ago. Is your's floating upside down or rightside up?

But lets get your information out on the table here and we'll help you out as best we can.

Edited by Barbra44

Guest Kayla

Alright, sorry about that.

Anyway, I meant I've never done a water change. I was planning to soon. I don't soak his food, either. He floats right side up, so far he hasn't ever gone upside down.

The tank has been cycled, but there was a time when our power went out for six hours a little while ago. A day after that it went out again for maybe an hour and then came back on.

Also, I feed my goldfish TetraFin goldfish flakes

I dont know the name of the filter because it came with the tank

If you haven't done water changes yet then that's something you need to address right away. Especially if your tank is only a month old and it went through the cycling process without you doing a water change once. Usually during this time it's the most important time to keep that undercontrol. Are you able to give us any water readings from test kits? If not then that's something you should invest in.

Normal water changes should take place at least once a week. I personally change 20-30% of the water weekly. I make sure I treat the water for chlorine before it's re-added to the tank as well.

If your fish has Swim bladder problems.. in your case it would have been caused by poor water conditions and or feeding flake food without soaking if for 1 minute. However I would probably lean more towards the water quality. Try feeding your fish some frozen peas which have been skinned. Sometimes that helps clean out their track and a lot of people have had success with it. And the fish love it. Also you could Fast the fish (not feed) for a couple days. A fish can go a couple days safely without feeding. This will help clear out his system.

How do you know your tank is cycled? Do you have a test kit to give us test results of your water. Those alone can tell us a LOT and we can help you out much more if we have them.

If i was you.. I'd get started on your water changes today and committ to it weekly. Otherwise you are in for a world of problems in your future. Remember that good water quality is the best thing for your fish. And a weekly water change is something that you MUST be doing to keep that in check.

What does your filter look like? Does it sit on the outside of the tank? Please discribe that if you can. Better yet a picture would tell us right away if you have a digital camera.

Please take a moment to read the following articles. They will help you BIG TIME to properly care for your tank. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

Can you give us more information based on my questions? Thanks Kayla

Edited by Barbra44