What Could It Be?

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? between 0 and 5 but WAY WAY closer to 0

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gallons running for 2.5 months

What is the name and size of the filter/s? A new Whisper 40i (I placed the sponge from the old filter in the new one so any good bacteria I had would remain in the tank)

How often do you change the water and how much? I aim for water changes once every other day and try to do a 50-70% water change each time

How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish, 2 of them are about 2.5 inches and the largest is about 3.5 inches.

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tap Water conditioner by API

Any medications added to the tank? None

Add any new fish to the tank? 1 new fish about 2 weeks ago...

What do you feed your fish? The two Orandas get Hikari Oranda Gold most of the time (occasionally they get Tetra sinking Mini Sticks and Hikari Lionhead food) I try to get them peas on weekends.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nope

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? The largest fish, can normally be seen at the bottom until I go to the tank, then she perks up and swims about. If not at the bottom (when no one is infront of the tank) she's at the top gulping back the air. Sometimes she swims normally. Her tail fins are always droopy, but her dorsal fin is always up.

The newest fish also rests at the bottom quite a bit, but doesn't really gulp air or have droopy tail fins. The other fish (fantail) is completely unaffected by whatever it is in the tank. I saw her resting on the bottom of the tank ONCE, and I think that was due to my negligence in the water changing department. Sometimes (the oranda in discussion) she floats at the surface from gulping so much air. I've seen her passing air bubbles in her poop, and she's fine after all the air has been passed.

Edited by Halloween

Have you noticed any flashing/scratching? Can you look and see what color and how their gills look? Are they red and meaty,or lighter coloered/pale,tattered looking?

As for feeding,how much /how often do you feed them?Are you presoaking the food before hand?

As for the large 50-70% water changes every other day-are your params reading that poorly within 2 days?Are you actually testing the params before the water changes,or just automatically doing them?

It's good to find out as much info as we can,especially when your param's are reading normal,and the only signs are bottom sitting,as it's sometimes hard without any real symptom's to figure out the exacts.Constipation/Swim bladder issues don't always have fish floating-sometimes it does cause fish to bottom sit.

HAve you had other threads about these fish where they were actually sick?Just wondering.....I'm thinking that I remember something,but I could be mistaken for there are alot of member's on here. :lol: