Goldies In Altitudes?

Goldfish? Hopefully. ^^

Arlighty, so I'm going to Taiwan in two weeks, and they have these things called night markets, and there's this 'game' which one uses a tissue paper paddle to scoop up fish. This is freaky hard seeing as there are bubbles in the tanks, and the tissue paper gets wet and goes...'splat'.

Obviously, these fish are given the worst type of conditions to live in.

So I was hoping to rescue one or two of them this summer. I know you are allowed to bring fish through immigration, but my only question is how, while not killing the fish.

My dad said that his cousin sucessfully brought carp over from Taiwan to America by putting them in hibernation, or by putting them to sleep, but accidentily killed them because he was in such a rush to wake them up. Is there a way to do this sucessfully without killing the poor things? Clove Oil, Ice?

I don't know, the fish are really badly off in Taiwan, and any sort of advice would really help. Please don't shoot me down for this idea. :o I just love fish. ^^

Thanks!!

I'd definetely research that whole thing thoroughly, ILuvMehFishies - not only because of the long trip, and the fish really need to be packed properly, and most local sellers might not know how to do that. Oxygen is the key here, lots of it.

Other than that, a call to customs and most importantly the individual airline is in order. They have special, and most likely, strict regulations for anything live and from foreign contries. And even then, one employee might read the rules differently than the next, and then you sit there with a bag of fish, and they don't allow you either into the country, or onto the plane. I wouldn't risk any of that. :)

Well, maybe some sellers do. You could pay for the fish and the shipping, then agree on a delivery date when you surely are home, and that would be that. But you have to find a seller who really knows how to pack for oversees travel. There will be whats called an intershipper, usually somebody in CA, who will receive the fish, repack and reoxygenate them, and then send them to you overnight. :)

Whoa, you can mail fish?!! :rofl

That would be really spiffy though, I come home and there are all these boxes at my door that say, "Fragile, Live Animal. Open ASAP" :lol1:druel

Hm...from the sounds of that however, it really doesn't sound like something you could buy with a 39 cents stamp.... :goldfish:

Eh...thanks for replying though. Maybe I could stick a goldfish in a water bottle with an airstone. Hehe, and then change the water everytime the seatbelts sign goes off in the airplane...

jk. ^^

:tomuch: Now, that would be a sight, wouldn't it? I can imagine it now - some crazy person flying off the seat with a bowl of water in the hand, rushing into the bathroom and doing water changes! :thud Long line waiting outside, and the bathroom would smell like water conditioner. Yeah, right! :rofl3

Unfortunately, the 35 cent really doesn't cut it in this case. More like into the direction of 80 bucks and more, especially overseas.

:rofl

Ah well. So much for that.

Maybe when I win the lottery I could save all of those poor fish... :clapping:

Definitely. My lifelong ambition:

-To win the lottery and save all the goldfish in Taiwan.

Yup, yup, I know what I wanna be when I grow up. XD

Personal logistics aside, you are right, Sandy. When taking fish to high altitudes (and even not that high of altitudes) you need to have the bags not completely full of air so there is room for expansion in the bag. That way it does not burst.

:)

Wow, You can mail fish :krazy: !!! Im not even that old and i still can't keep up with tecnolgies :krazy: . Im gonna go buy a goldfish from amazon.com :rofl

JK JK :rofl

Archived