Leaving For Vacation Tommorow

Stacyy

Im leaving tommorow for vacation and my fish will be foodless for 5 days. i had a bad experience with several fishes with that holiday stick thing and i refuse to put it in, does anybody know if it is ok if they dont eat for 5 days? im very very nervous and i dont want ANYTHING to happen to them, what do i do?

Fish can last a few days with out food. alough sometimes they can get stressed out with it.

In your LFS they probably feed them every 2 - 3 days. and there normally highly active due to wanting feeding.

Generally for 5 days i wouldnt not feed them for that length of time, but it is your decision.

There are weekend "sticks" that well i dont like personaly.. but i have found that feeding blocks are much better to use. probably a 3 day feeding block would be enough to be honest. any more it can slowly start to polute your tank.

hopw this is of any use to you.

I suggest not using a feeding block at all. My best advice would be to make sure that water params are perfect,and if you're really concerned about them not eating,you could always add some live green plants for them to munch on. :) 5 days should be fine though.

I suggest not using a feeding block at all. My best advice would be to make sure that water params are perfect,and if you're really concerned about them not eating,you could always add some live green plants for them to munch on. :) 5 days should be fine though.

Yeah devs, sometimes food blocks or sticks can be a pain in the backside. not always the best thing. glad you thought of the plants there, as that is one thing i forgot about :)

"writes into little black book to remember in future" lol

I agree with Devs. Never use those automatic feeder thing. I've been browsing around the internet and I'll I read are bad reports of overfed fish, or dead fish due to horrible water quality.

5 days should be okay, but if you really concerned, you could add some Romaine Lettuce, and have it under a rock or something, and your goldfish just munch on it, and it's good for them as well as not letting them over eat, cause they just nibble.

Have fun on your five day vacations! Where you going? :)

Edited by ILuvMehFishies

Make sure sure you do your usual tank maintenace and a large water change before you go, if possible leave clear instructions with somebody and ask them to feed your fish maybe every other day or so. They may be OK for 5 days without regular food, but I would say it would be preferable to feed them at least once or twice during that period. Make sure you leave out the measured dose of food for each feed (definately underfeed them) and hide the rest of the fish food away from whoever is looking after them for you. I hope you can find someone to keep an eye on them for you :)

im so scared about it but i decided not to put any block in. is it possible i can just put some lettuce in like from the fridge in? i cant bear to think they wont have food for so long :(

I think a piece of lettuce is okay. Just make sure it's put somewhere where it won't float everywhere, and make sure it's not a super crunchy piece, but not so soft that your tank will be all greenies when you come back.

Don't worry, goldfish are hardy fish. They'll be fine. ^^ They'll just miss you. XD

Good luck!!! :exactly

same here. and love your name"love Jesus". finaly, someone who steps up! he's proud! OH! :BTT:BTT

same here. we had to go to Fl. and my youngest nibbled on the plants. ofcourse he ate da blocks.

Edited by doc.

What about 8 days <_< ? im heading north to Alaska in august on a cruise. Would blocks work for that or is there some kind of method for long term absenses like that?

Well, some block feeders may work, but I really wouldn't risk it unless your positive your brand is a good brand. :D Or else bye bye fishie.....

El Pez, if your worried, you also can put a piece of lettuce or two, or something for your goldfish to nibble on. Again, just have it placed somewhere where your fish can tug and pull at it without it being uprooted. :D

Have fun on your cruise!!!