Sign in to follow this  
Guest Spacehopper

From Happy To Sad In A Day...

Guest Spacehopper

After having lost his baby brother Flea a few months back, poor old Fats, my tennis ball sized Pearlscale fisherywillock, passed away in the night. He has done me proud for 6 years & had been showing his age, and lived his last days to his fullest, having got together with one of bf's fisherywillock's and fertilised a batch of eggs. 3 fish have been protecting the eggs with precision whilst mum has been puffing fresh water on differing patches. (we were keeping a close eye on things ready to pounce and remove the eggs at the first sign of fuzz or being eaten)

This morning I found Fats lifeless (a 29 year old crying her eyes out over a fish..yes indeedy, my poor boy), , and eventually consoled myself with the thought of raising one of his own. The nightmare was not over......the other fish were still protecting the eggs, which now were covered in mould. HOW I swore! All my little black dots in their balls were taken over with filth.

To my knowledge I have saved 3 eggs which were tucked into the plant roots, and popped them in a jar. But from being the prospective proud grandma to our home grown fishery willocks, I have lost my big ball and his babies. R.I.P. you gorgeous beast. And wish me luck with the offspring, I have a feeling i'm going to need it!!

Hi there, Spacehopper, and :welcome !

I am very sorry to hear that your Fats passed away. Although only a small condolence, he got to be a proud age. Most goldfish don't make it to being 6 years old. So you must have taken good care of him and his companions.

I hope the remaining eggs stay free of fungus and hatch soon. There is a product called Methylene Blue that protects the eggs from fungus. It is sold under that name by Kordon....

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

:)

Guest Spacehopper

Thanks!!

We managed to save 3 eggs, which hatched Saturday morning (the one that hatched from his egg in a jar whizzed about constantly, whilst the 2 I rescued from the tank weren't so mobile), sadly they died yesterday morning. However, I cleaned the tank yesterday as the mould seemed to be everywhere. I spent an hour combing through the bowl of dirty water trying to salvage any that had been sucked up. I was just about to give up when there he was, a lone fisherywillock. He wasn't moving, it took me about 5 minutes to waft the water gently with the spoon to get the little thing into position to lift him out. STILL no movement. As soon as i went to pop him in a small pot he wriggled about like mad. I've been keeping an eye on him, and blowing bubbles into the pot with a pen, no movement this morning, and I was about to get despondent AGAIN when zoom, he darted to the top of the water and whizzed about and then settled on the bottom again. Hopefully Fats' Legacy will live on. :) This has been the first time the eggs have ever been fertilised and so we found it all a bit "new", but thanks to this site we will be more prepared for if it happens again.

Congratulations on saving a few eggs and hatchlings. I wish you the best of luck with them.

So sorry that Fats passed away but as Andrea said he had a full life. I'm sure he will be missed but not forgotten.

:( Was sad to hear that you lost Fats,that must have been rough.I wish you the best of luck with your lone fry.I ended up with one fry and he's doing well-hopefully yours will too. :heart

Good Luck with your remaining little fry hope he/she goes from strength to strength. :rip: Fats

Guest Spacehopper

The Fats Legacy is still with us. I'm beginning to worry the boyfriend as whenever he turns around, there I am stood in the kitchen blowing bubbles into Sid's water with a pen casing (carefully avoiding him of course). I was concerned yesterday at having to leave him while out at work, but he made it clear he was intent on carrying on the family gene! He's in a plastic lunchbox with about 2 inches of water so as not to crush him, and has a couple of little stones in with him and a cutting of aerating weed. Thought i'd lost him yesterday as he darted into the path of bubbles and disappeared from sight. He then darted around and came to a stop, then didn't move much in the evening. This morning it pleased me no end watching him whizzing about, he's certainly getting more active.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what else I should or shouldn't be doing to try and ensure he has the best possible chance of growing into a healthy fisherywillock?? (i spent an absolute age last night carefully removing bits from the bottom of his dwelling and crushing down food flakes into almost invisible dust). Cheers me dears!!! x

To avoid stunting and disease you need to get him in a 5 gallon with plenty of aeration. I know it sounds big for one fry but they need the room to grow and form properly as theres nothing worse than a fish with spine deformities. Feed a little frozen bby brine shrimp 4 or 5 times a day and keep doing large water changes.

If you keep him in there for too much longer you run the risk of losing him to fungal diseases.

Guest Spacehopper

5 gallon? The reason I question is I read about no more than 6 inches of water for the first 3/4 days, (today is day 3) so water weight doesn't crush the poor little thing and he doesn't struggle to get to the water's surface. A water change is being done after work so no worries there and a huge new home for him will be found asap. Oh, actually thank you VERY much for your reply, as it has just flashed up in my head I have a spare pump from my previous tank tucked away!

Thanks.

Hi, I am sorry your Fats passed away :rip: .

I am happy that you still have a fry :) . I had never raised fry until I found several fry after cleaning my goldies tank. I found Sorsha's post on how she raised her fry very helpful. Her post is the second one in this forum.

Just be sure when aerating to keep the airflow low.

Good luck

karla

The 5 gl doesn't have to be filled up all the way to the top, but its still perfect for surface area and especially GROWTH! Just be careful not to put too much current into the tank with the airstone - there are difusers out there with which you can control the outflow of the airstone. :)