Sign in to follow this  
jen626

Just Realized My Tank Hood In "not For Use Over Open Water"

I was just looking at the box and directions for the lid on my 20 gallon tank, and realized that it says the hood is not for use over "open water" but only for aquariums that already have another cover. :hummm

Well, of course I don't have two covers on mine, just the hood! It says the condensation and stuff could cause a possible shock hazard. I have actually been unfortunate enough to drop the whole thing into the fish tank, while it was plugged in, twice with no ill results, so I can't imagine it would be that water sensitive.

Has anyone else seen this on their hood instructions? I am wondering if it is a general disclaimer or if they are really menat to be used with another cover. Mine is an Aquatic Gardens 12 x 24 with a 15 watt flourescent bulb if that helps.

I just want to know if this is really that dangerous...it has been 9 months but still, I don;t want a fire hazard on my hands! :yikes

Thanks!

I don't have a hood Jen but I do run double 40Watt lights and I wouldn't do this without the glass lids. There's several warnings about getting the electrics wet plus if you think about it - at the very least, they will just end up rusting :)

I wouldn't want to take the chance of water getting into the actual fittings and causing a short - plus the other problems it may cause. Can you not get a glass lid for your 20?

I cou8ld get one, I was just asking if they are really necessary. The light and fixture on my hood is totally covered by plastic already though, so it seems like it wouldn't make that much of a difference? And the other hoods I have for my 55 gallon do not say that they need another hood, they are All Glass brand though.

I don't want to take any risks though, so I could get a glass cover, the only thing is I don't think it will sit flush because of the filters, maybe I could make one of plexiglass or something and then make cut outs for the filters? Hmmmm....I know some of the glass ones have space at the back open too don;t they?

Thanks for your reply and advice Lucy...you'd think I'd have read the hood inctructions before, not after having it for 8 months!

Jen, if your hood has a plastic cover over it then I wouldn't worry. Does it cover the entire area around the light?

This is probably why nothing happened when it accidentally slipped into the tank :D

Yeah, there is clear plastic over the whole area of the light...here is a pic although you really can't see the clear plastic. But basically the whole white area is covered with a piece of plastic. In fact, when the light bulb burns out I am going to have to figure out how to open it! Thanks!

Image046-1.jpg

Edited by jen626

It looks like in the picture that the light fixture is taped to the plastic piece. Just take the tape off and you should be able to get to the inside of light fixture. :)

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to take that tape off or not, it came that way. But i am know i will have to take it off should I need to remove the bulb. Maybe that plastic piece was only there for shipping and is supposed to be off?

Yeah, they it tape together in shipping to protect the light so it doesnot break.

I have that exact hood and light on my 20 gallon tank. Is it a TopFin? I've never had a problem with mine, I thought that warning was on the light fixture, not the hood - but I might be wrong.