Not Sure What Is 'up' With Fish...

They can lurk in gravel but the meds will get in there - especially when they hatch and search out a host as most parasites do. This is why follow up parasite meds are a must :)

You can get the Medigold 8oz jar which is only $11.99 - not sure how much postage is though. It's definitely one I would keep in my cabinet if I could. Plus you'd only get the smaller jar as it has a shelf-life of 6 months and i would hope you wouldn't need more than that :)

Good luck with begging your parents :D

He isn't doing so well.

The black spots are getting bigger, and there's one that's about as big as his eye, but under his skin.

I tried to take some pictures.

Here's a better view of the funny spots, and the black on his gills: Here

A close-up: Here

Full view, with odd white spot: Here

Mef, he looks sad. :heart:(

Still bacterial infection?

Thanks!!!

Hmm....are you allowed to edit old posts on the forum? 'Cause I was going to edit my other one to avoid double posting....

Just to double triple check if there's anything else I can do for my fish.? :(

Right now, he's just kinda 'floaty'. When I came up to him, (he was resting at the front of the tank), he kinda ignored me..and then suddenly he starts half thrashing half swimming, and he's crashing into the tank walls and whatnot. I'm really scared that he's gonna hurt himself. :heart:(

I have the odd feeling that he won't last another 48 hours...but what is it that's affecting him? He isn't responding to the Parasite Clear medication at all.

Any sort of confirmation or advice would be helpful to the tons. Thanks!!!

Are his gills really as light as they appear in the picture?

Also, where's your ammonia at right now? Also, can you check and post back your other parameters?

The darkness looks like ammonia burn that's healing and if you've been medicating, just check it hasn't thrown your parameters out.

Please post back and let us know what colour his gills are because if they're as light as they look, it could be a nasty case of flukes with bacterial gill disease and will need treatment quickly.

Were you able to order any medicated food?

Meh, I was too late....

He died. Sometime in the past hour I think. His mouth is permenantly open and his pupils are kind of sticking out, but black as coal. O_O

Before I had done the 80% water change, all Ammonia levels were solidly 0. I guess I could check all the levels now. I was wondering how he could have gotton Ammonia burns if the Ammonia was never at a dangerous level? There was also a great deal of black specks on his head, and some yellow spots surrounded by the black dots.

I'm kind of guessing that there's something in the tank, so the whole thing is going to be steralized tommorow. I already bought a bottle of potassium permagranate.

Yeah, his gills were that color. Flukes? Wouldn't parasite clear taken care of that? :(

Oh, and my parents said no to the food anyway. They were like, "12 bucks plus 7 dollars shipping...and only 6 months? Psh." Mphf...well.

I'm going to wait about an hour to make sure my fish is dead, then I'm going to wrap up his body and take it to the pet shop tommorow and see if I can find out what was wrong with my fish. Is there someway to preserve the body well enough without it drying up or rotting? O.o....

Well, I suppose it was for the better. I am going to be gone for about 6 weeks due to a science camp and a trip, and it would have been....er...lol, deadly if my parents had tried to treat my fish if it had gotton sick. I'll probably try again when the school year start again.

Eh, I just feel like such a failure right now. Two poor goldfish died because of me, and only about a month old. I didn't even get time to name either of them. :cry1:cry1:cry1 Seems like the harder I try the faster they pass away. :(

Should I take more photos, to see if we can nail the problem?

Thanks so much Jen. ^^ I really appreciate your help.

I'm so sorry :(

Science camp? Does that mean you know someone with a microscope (or you have one perhaps)? If you do you can take a scrape from under the gill plate and check under the scope. If his gills were that pale, i believe it was a bad case of gill flukes and it would take a good 3 treatments to remove them, or 3 using Prazi. This would also explain the markings on his body - a secondary bacterial infection that is in many cases caused by flukes.

Are you able to get your hands on a microscope? If so, I can walk you through what you need to look for under the scope.

Also don't give up - usually it's the way goldies are shipped and stocked with many other fish that causes this to happen. They are left wide open to infestation and flukes, in particular gill flukes are hard to destroy because of the slime coat around the gills - it protects them from medication which is why they need to be hit hard with meds. A similar thing happened to my friend's fish a while ago - we saved 8 but we lost a couple and their gills were very pale. When I did a scrape the scope showed they were still there... The only way we could remove them from the larger fish was to dip them in a 3% salt bath to strip the slime coat thereby exposing them to the meds in the tank. It worked but not without cost :(

Again, i'm so sorry :cry1

Well, the science camp is a good 2 hours away, but perhaps at the pet store I could see if I could ask someone for a microscope....

Could you please e-mail instructions (anita_perng@hotmail.com), or perhaps post them for everyone? :) It would be an enormous help, and I really want to find out what happened to my poor fantail.

Thanks again Jen. ^^

There's 3 areas on the fish that I scrape - the underside of the belly, the caudal fins and the gills. For all 3 I use a plastic slip and for the underbelly and fins, I scrape the mucous from these areas and put a drop of tank water on actual slide. Then you join the slip with the mucous to the slide with the tank water (it seals them together). Then you check this under the scope.

For the gills (and it's hard to do on a live fish), you need to hold the gill plate open and place the plastic slip under the plate. Then you lay it on the actual gill and run the slip downward - you should end up with some pinkish mucous on the slip. Then do the same as above.

If you take your fish quickly (to preserve the sites) to your lfs - and they have a scope there, they should know how to do it...

Let us know how you go...

Man, I was so dissapointed when I got home....

So in the pet store are these teenagers, and I'm in the middle of asking them how my fish died, but they kind of stare at me, sort of smirking. And the guy goes,

"Well...there could be about a million ways your fish died...stres...um...maybe he was sick? (Are you serious?!O_O) ....we can't help you. Heh, you could probably check online." (What do you think I have been doing in the past twenty four hours?!!!)

The guy had that note of hilarity in his voice, and the girl just proceeded to help me check out my items. He didn't even bother to look at my fish. I dare say I won't be asking them to help in the future. I was checking out their wares as well, and they promote all sorts of horrible things for fish.

Ehh...the other pet store has better service, but is about half the size. I just proceeded to bury my fish. Darned teenagers. I swear they didn't know two scales about fish.

Well, I stripped down my tank, and well, I suppose I'll try again some othertime. Man, I wish there was a pet store that was more into goldfish, or even fish in general.

Thanks for all your help guys!!! :krazy::heart:heart:heart

Archived