Not Sure What Is 'up' With Fish...

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level: 0

Nitrite Level: 0

Nitrate level: 5-10 ppm

Ph Level: Tested 8.6-8.8, added some Ph Lo

Ph Level out of the Tap: 7.4

Tank size: 10 gallon, running for 6-8 months.

What is the name and size of the filter: Whisper filter, with removed carbon medium cartridges.

How often do you change the water and how much: Once or twice a week.

How many fish in the tank and their size: One fantail, from head to end of fins; 2 inches.

What kind of water additives or conditioners: Wardley's Chlor Out, Ph Lo

Any medications added to the tank: Jungle Parasite Clear. Last tablet added yesterday at 8 p.m.

Add any new fish to the tank: No

What do you feed your fish: Wardley's Premiun flakes.

Any unusual findings on the fish: Well, I don't know if it's the slime coat, but there's this sort of hazy glow on the fish's side that almost looks like a clear coat. Also, found small red marks on/in scales close to the head. Small black dots on face. Fins are clamped.

Any unusual behavior: Well, the fish sort of sits there on the gravel, just staring until I make major movements, such as disturbing the water or turning on the light. The fish does not move when I approach it face to face.

Today I noticed my fish wasn't acting right. He sort of 'sat' in the corner facing me, and just would lay there. He has sort of reddish small dots on his left side, which are about the size of a grain of salt, but looks like a rash or something. I think it's slime coat is also a little heavy, in which you can see a sort of 'clear off-white layer' on his right side.

I really don't know what this is. Last time my fish wasn't doing well, I gave it a salt dip, put it back in the tank, added a tablet of parasite clear, and within 4 hours, he was looking much better. I thought it was flukes returning, because a previous fish had excessively red gills, and eventually died. Could this be flukes as well or a different disease?

Well, here, 70 hours later from adding the first parasite clear tablet,( I added a second yesterday), and my fish doesn't seem to be responding to it at all. Current medications I have available are Melafix, Pimafix, Parasite Clear, and Aquarium Salt.

The ph is really unsteady, could this be cause by anything? Yesterday I tested it and it was at 8.0, and today it spiked up quite a bit. I added some Won's PH Lo.

He's eating fine, actually is being quite a piggie. He's a little constipated right now so I'm not feeding for another two days.

I also was simphoning the gravel yesterday when I was doing a 25% water change, if that would have affected anything?

:krazy: Why can't my fish ever just be 'okay'? :krazy::krazy::krazy:

Thanks!

Alright. so seeing as refreshing isn't working.....

Don't get me wrong. I'm just impatient. XD

Should I just take out the Parasite clear and add Melafix and Pimafix? I was researching 'red spots' on goldfish, and the descriptions said it was caused by bacteria. 0_o....I don't want my fishies to die.

Oh, and how long does it take carbon to remove medications?

Should I do another salt dip?

Thanks!

Bah, goldie is being lethargic....eh.....

Guest happy2share

Hello there ILoveMehFishies, I am sure that someone far more knowledgeable than me will come along soon and help! I just wanted to say that I am very sorry that your fish is so sick! I hope that you are able to save him. It is very odd to me that your PH in your tank is so much highter than what comes out of the tap. Do you have river rocks or something that could be causing this in your tank? That PH is too high for your goldie, especially with the .6 spike in a day. Siphoning the tank should not have any ill effect on your fish, we all do it weekly with our water changes without trouble. You mentioned that your other fish died. How long have you had this one?

^^

I dunno, my PH is really weird. For about 2 weeks it'll be the same level, but then suddenly it shoots up one day. I don't have anything such as river rocks, all my decorations and gravel were bought from a pet store. I have plastic plants and those odd fake rock things....

The other fish died about 5 days ago. I've had this fish for about 2 weeks I suppose? Bah, I should really get a quarantine tank huh? X_X

My fish pretends to act fine when I go near him. Psh, show off. He's starting 'float' a little bit, like he doesn't have full control of his body.

Thanks for the reply. :D :D:D

Guest happy2share

Hmmm. . . was your fish sick already when you bought the new one? How long had you had the fish that died? How often and how much water do you change on your tank?

I bought both of the fish at the same time. So they would both, er, technically be 2 weeks.

I change about 30% of the water 1-2 times a week.

Edit: It looks like my fish is bleeding from under it's scales on the left side.

Help guys! Meh...I don't want to take out the Parasite Clear because I'm trying to get rid of those darn flukes, yet something new has come up.... :krazy:

Guest happy2share

You said in the beginning that your tank had been up and running for about 6-8 months and that you had no new fish! Having a fish for two weeks is still considered NEW (any time less than 3 months)! What happened to your origninal fish that you bought 6-8 months ago?

Erm. They died?

They were all feeder fish, and one by one they were picked off. I had no idea of all the cool 'fish' meds out there, and I probably could have saved them. However, I was also overstocked, and this time around I'm trying to take better care of my fish, hopefully going over the one year mark at least. Is there a limit to how many salt dips you can do?

Guest happy2share

Well, your fish is only 2 inches long. I don't believe that you are supposed to salt dip fish that size at all because of the damage it can do to their kidneys. I read that on this site earlier with another person's thread. Sometimes if we do not diagnose our fish problems correctly, we can do more damage with the treatments we subject our fish to than help! I would suggest doing a 50% water change making sure to use your dechloranator and conditioner and making sure that the water temp is the same as the water in the tank. Then I would observe your fish for the evening and maybe turn off the light hood to give him a break. Perhaps someone else will come along with additional advice today! Good Luck!

Guest happy2share

I'm so sorry but I am just not knowledgeable enough about meds (I've never used anything but salt). I wish I could be of more help to you! I just read your edit and I am very concerned for your fish too. Unfortunately, I am leaving my office for the evening. I will check in on you in the morning. I am sure that someone else will come along soon! Anybody else out there that can help??????????? :please

Guest happy2share

Anyone out there to help in this situation? I am not able to help any further and I am afraid this fish is in a lot of trouble!

• Supporter

Let me see if one of the mods is on-I can pm one of them and see if they can help. :-)

EDIT: Done...I pm'd the only mod who is on-hopefully she'll be able to look in on this post. Sometimes she is logged in though and not actually "on" the site, but I will pm anyone else who comes along as well.

And good luck!

Hi ILuvMehFishies. Would it be possible to answer a few questions?

- does your fish spit out his food?

- did you other fish spit out his food?

- what led you to believe it was flukes?

- is there any flashing or scratching? (erratic swimming)

- How does his poop look? Thick/coloured? Or white/stringy?

- Can you check the colour of his gills under the gill plate? (this may be hard to do)

- Does the redness look like streaks of blood under the scales?

Also just on the pH adjuster - how do you add it? Does it take your tank's pH from 8.6 down to 7.4 quickly? or do you lower it slowly?

You may be dealing with a parasite, bacterial infection or stress and your answers to the questions above will help figure it out. Also do you have plenty of aeration in your tank?

Please post back soon :)

Thanks both jens for helpin' me out. ^^

No, either one of my fish never spat out food.

What led me to believe it was flukes was my past fish had these bright red gills that hung partially open. He was yawning, and I tried using Melafix and Pimafix, but it had no effect on the fish. So it wasn't bacterial, or fungul.

Also, my current fish. I had used a salt dip and a tablet of Parasite Clear 4 days ago, and it did wonders. From being lifeless and pretty much 'gone', he recovered tremendously, and for about a day or two. Since my tank temperature is about 76 degrees F, I though maybe the flukes had come back.

I saw him flash once, but I think he was adjusting the ph levels, and I read that flashing may be done to adjust to the ph? He may be scratching, I don't know. some scales are missing from his sides, and sometimes he hides behind the filter. Right now he's just laying there on the gravel. :( He looks like he's saying "Help me!" :o

His poop is the same color of his food, but longer and trailed him. I think it was constipation?

Currently, his gills are a 'clear' normal looking color. Their hanging a little open though, so I can see right into them.

The redness kind if looks like 'blood' spots. Their little dots in between and under the scales on the left side, right next to the head. I supposed I could try taking a picture of it, but the cameras I use don't take pictures very well. I read that this was caused by a bacterial infection?

For the Ph adjuster, I follow the directions and lower the ph slowly. I add 2 drops for every gallon, and it lowers the ph down about .3 every time. I don't lower the ph any lower than .3 per 24 hours.

I have plenty of good aeration. I bought an air pump that is recommended for up to 20 gallons, and recently I have turned it up a little bit, so my poor fishie can have more air.

If there is anything else I can answer, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Additional Note:

Now I'm noticing numerous black dots all over the front of his face and there are a few on the side of his gills. They're black and some of them look like their even in or under the left gill plate....Could these be parasites? Should I do a salt dip?

Guest happy2share

Please do not salt dip your little fish again! What you are describing may be ammonia burns that are in the healing state! When your tank is cycling, which yours is still doing, you may have a problem with the ammonia being too high in such a small tank. 10 gallon tanks, and smaller, tend to be less stable and much harder to keep the water pristine. While it is still cycling, you may need to do water changes daily or at least every other day to keep the water healthy. At any rate, when the burns begin to heal they turn black. I have never personally experienced this, but I have read many threads on it. Is there any way you can take a picture of your fish and post it here? Even a blurred one would help!

Er...no offense, but my tank is cycled. :)

I've not had any Ammonia or Nitrite readings for at least 6 months.

The black dots are the size of half a grain of salt?

The gills are hanging partially out, I'm still pretty sure it's some sort of bacterial or parasitic infection.

Bleh, right now he's just laying on the gravel, but fighting whatever it is that ails him. Everytime the water makes him sway a little much, he gets off and regains control for awhile. He keeps yawning, or opening up his mouth in an 'o' shape.

Alright, I got it...no salt dips. :)

Guest happy2share

No offense taken. I naturally assumed that since you only had two fish in the tank, both for only 2 weeks, that your tank had been dormant since your last deaths. Had you kept the tank going with no fish in it?

Funny enough I did. XD After my last fish died, I realized I didn't have 'comets' but feeder goldfish. I was like...Ooohhhh...So I didn't need 20 gallons per fish?!

I always thought I was mistreating my fish, so I guess I laxed on the care. :peeka However the next day, I bought two really beautiful fantails...but not having a quarantine tank at the time...

:stupid:

Well, anyway, thanks for your concern. :) I just hope some mod can diagnose my poor fish, he's getting worse by the day. :S

Guest happy2share

Oh Hun, you only need a quarantine tank if you are adding fish to a tank that already has fish in it! In this case, you were basically starting over, so no quarantine would be needed. There were no fish that could be contaminated by your new fish. I too hope someone else comes along soon to help. I don't think it was a good idea for you to have purchased two new healthy fish to put in a tank that your old fish just died in the day before! Did you clean the tank at all before adding your new fantails?

Ehem....er..........

:thud

Wow, I'm really...smart.

See, that's why I need people like you to shove the obvious up my nose.

Yeah, I'm probably going to strip down my tank. I bought a small bottle of that potassium permagranate today, hehe, and managed to introduce the sales lady to kokos some how. Ah ha, that makes me laugh.

Bah, 'nameless' fishies now has various black dots, and some of the black dots are leaving white marks. Parasites? However, my only question is why then, did the black dots persist after 40 hours of parasite clear? I put my carbon filter back in yesterday for about 2 minutes, but changed my mind. So I took the carbon out, and the water still smells like parasite clear. Could this be some parasite that is resistant to parasite clear? Or perhaps it's not a parasite at all...Help guys!

It sounds like something bacterial. Are you able to get any Medigold? It's antibacterial food so the meds are ingested quickly and is available from www.goldfishconnection.com

If he had parasites, there's every chance there's a secondary bacterial infection so you may need to resolve this first prior to redosing with Parasite Clear in a few days (incase any parasites reinfect the tank). You can also feed Medigold and run Parasite Clear at the same time... I would say try to get an antibacterial waterborne med but Parasite Clear contains metronidazole and acriflavin - 2 anitibiotics.

I'm worried something is still lurking in your tank so remedicating with Parasite Clear may help but before you redose, I would do a massive 80% waterchange :)

You don't know how relieved I was when I saw your post JenW. :D I've been refreshing...and refreshing...and refre-

Anyway.

Ouch....About 20 bucks to get medigold. My parents kind of laugh at me and my goldfish obbsession, but I'll have to ask them about that medi-gold. O_O Hopefully they'll say yes.

Doing 80% water change now.

Er...slightly stupid question, but parasites do lurk in gravel and can avoid being killed right? ^_^;;

Thanks a bunch!!!

Archived