Guest Jenrews

Guest Jenrews

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? unknown

Nitrite Level? unknown

Nitrate level? unknown

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? unknown

Ph Level out of the Tap? use bottled spring water

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 10 gal.....2 yrs with fish

What is the name and size of the filter/s? came w/ aquarium

How often do you change the water and how much? every 4-6 mos....half

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2...bubble eye and algae eater 3-5 in long

What kind of water additives or conditioners? n/a

Any medications added to the tank? n/a

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? goldfish flakes

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? bubble eye has blood veins and cloudiness in one bubble

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? n/a

I have noticed that my bubble eye goldfish has developed a cloudiness in one of her bubbles. It also has

obvious blood veins in it also. What does this mean? We have had her for over a year now. She is about

4-5 inches long and her bubbles are about dime sized. We got her to accompany our African clawed frog...but the frog has passed on. No problems with algae and the like....tank is clear most of the time.

Can someone give me some help?

Hi Jenrews and :welcome

Cloudy eyes usually indicate stress from poor water and I think if you only change water out every 4-6 months this would be why unfortunately. Another thing working against you is overstocking. Most goldies need at least 10 gallons of water each but if you are overstocked, doing bi-weekly waterchanges will help in the short term.

Is there any reason you can't use tap water? It contains essential minerals and if you get a good dechlorinator, you can use as much tap water as you wish - and it will be safe for your fish :)

So, I would immediately do a 70% waterchange using a water dechlorinator and continue with about 25-30% waterchanges every day until you see it clear.

Is there any way you can take a sample of your water to your local fish outlet and ask them to test it?

I think your nitrates will be off the charts which will eventually cause illness in fish. How often do you rinse out your filter? I would give this a good rinse in old tank water and remove any build up of gunk as it will need to filter more effectively.

Goldfish are such messy creatures and a tank has no way of refreshing stagnant water unless we do it - which is why weekly waterchanges are suggested, anywhere between 30-50% or if you're overstocked, increase that to twice weekly. So I would go with a nice 70% change today and continue to change a bit each day until you see some improvement. Then I would try and get my water tested so you can post your water parameters here .... all you have to ask for is a reading on your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph :)

I hope this helps :)