Sign in to follow this  
Anic

Is This Sbd?

Test Results for the Following:

~Ammonia Level? -- 0

~Nitrite Level? -- Between 0.1 and 0.2

~Ph Level? -- 7.6

~Ph Level out of the Tap? -- 7.4

~Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? -- 29 gal, about a year

~What is the name and size of the filter/s? -- one AquaTech -Size ?

~How often do you change the water and how much? -- 80% every 2 weeks

~How many fish in the tank and their size? -- 2 fish (with tail 4in and 2.5 in)

~What kind of water additives or conditioners? -- Stress coat

~Any medications added to the tank? -- No

~Add any new fish to the tank? -- No

~What do you feed your fish? -- TetraFin goldfish flakes

~Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? -- No

~Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? -- Floating with their noses to the bottom and "gasping" for air. Sometimes (only a few times) Cracker will "flick" on the bottom of the tank.

Neither of the fish have ever been sick (since I've had them) and I don't know what this might be. When I first saw Cracker "gasping" I thought she might have SBD, but she quit gasping and started floating nose-down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another fish, Glenn, my Comet, also gasps for air and she has a red, almost ulcerous-looking spot on her head. It's been there for awhile but it doesn't seem to affect her. Glenn is about 7-8in with her tail. She is in the 130 with the Commons and 2 Cichlids (not my idea). If I need to treat Glenn, the only way is to put her in a 10gal, which I KNOW is way too small for her.

Any advice on any of this???????

Edited by Anic

1st - chekc your nitrAte readings. Are they over 40ppm? Do a dramatic water change to bring them down to at least 20ppm or less.

Next - this is often a sign of a bacterial infection - the red spot on the other fish indicates there may be something there, also, in that tank. Some fish are more suceptible than others. It may be that Glenn is showing problems but the others have them anyway.

Problems such as this often go hand in hand with parasitical loads - flukes or costia or both coming immediately to mind.

I think I would pull Glenn from the 130 - a tupperware tub or anything will make a good treatment tank.....

You should probably try an antibiotic and a parasitical treatment. A lot depends on what you have, can find, and wish to use......

Prazi is a good parasitic - for flukes and a few other things. Parasite Clear by Jungle Labs has Prazi and an anitbiotic in it. There are multiple antibiotics - from Maracyn I and II to Furan-2 - so much depends on what you find...... But I would suggest getting one going ASAP. A medicated food is not a bad idea, either.

For Glenn - if it is a red spot/ulcer, you can try swabbing it with iodine, hydrogen peroxide or PP paste - making sure you get none in her gills. Then rinse her off in a bucket of fish water and put her back in the tank.

This is Anic, not Liver. Should I do a salt dip before I put Glenn in the medicated tank?

IF you feel that she is strong enough - yes. I have never had a salt dip make things worse and have had them dramatically better many times. The salt will strip the slime coat. If it is carrying any parastites, they are left behind in the salt dip. STipping the coat will also open up the skin to medications.

Watch very carefully - if Glenn is having problems or is little, the fish may only be able to tolerate a very short salt dip.

I've already put her in the hospital tank with some Melafix (it's all I have)