What Size To Breed

Guest shin

Guest shin

hi i have been reading alot about the size a goldfish has to be before you can breed it. most sources say atleast 4" and i was wondering does this include or exclude their tails? Mine are about 2 1/2 years old and are only about 3 1/2- 4" long including their tails. can anyone clarify this for me? thanks

Size isn't neccessarily a good comparison when it comes to breeding age, Shin. Especially these days, where I have seen either 8 inch monster fish that are under a year old, and tiny little things, that have been stunted to do various things like tank size. Those tiny things can be years old - actually, I suspect one of my orandas being older than he looks.

A general rule, however, in a fish with a healthy growth, is somewhere around 2 1/2 to 3 inches, and that is just body length, without the fins. Fins don't tell anything about the size of the fish, and depending on the kind of fish, can be quite misleading. A comet, with almost half his body in fin length, is a whole lot different than a ranchu, with just a tiny little stub of a fin. I generally measure fish with just the body length, fins excluded... :)