Pest Control Poison

Kissy

We've had a major scorpion infestation the last week or so. I really like scorpions and I always catch and release, but the rest of my family thinks differently. We had pest control nuke our backyard and spray the outline of our house yesterday, but after we found two more inside today, my parents want to spray everywhere in the house! I am very worried about my pets. What should I do to protect my babies? I have a 10 gallon and a 3 gallon. I also have two mice cages (one in each because one is old and sick), 2 cats and a large dog. The mice and fish are in my room, but the cats and dog have free range of the house. It is too hot to bring them outside and they are all indoor pets. How can I protect them?? I only have a couple days to prepare so quick responses are needed!

Cover the fish and mice really good. Maybe even tape the cover on. Better heat then to breath posion. So put the cats in crates and let the dog out in your fences in yard. And then air the house out really good before you go back or uncover the tank. Maybe three hours with atic fan on and windows open.

When I use to feel the need to have a pest control company come out. My problem was the dead bugs that got into the tank. They posion would get into the tank that way. So be careful to keep all opening closed.

I dont spray anymore. I have parrots so I buy my own stuff that works just as good and they even recomended it to me. Its for roaches and its a paste have not had any roaches (knock on wood) in years. Maybe there is a paste for your bug problem you can buy or ask them to use instead of spray?

can your pets stay with a family member or friend?? i would get them off your property, dogs and ctas can stay at kennels and catterys, your fish and mouse, i would leave with a nighbour or friend or family get them out of house and keep them out for a few days, i also wouldnt be living in a house that has been fumagated, i dont care how safe they say it is. i know it's all rubbish all poisons are damage to humans as well. pls stay out.

Edited by puggirl

• Supporter

I would get everyone out somehow if you can too, if you can;t talk your parents out of not spraying and trying other alternatives. Are there any no-kill or at least no poison scorpion traps? LOL, we don't have them weer I live so I have no idea.

I would definitely get the cats and dogs out, even if you have to put them in crates in the shade or board them somewhere for a few days. I wouldn't want to be in the house for a few days either, but I am paranoid about such things. For the mice and fish, if you can;t get them out or leave them at someone's house for a bit, I guess you have to see if they won't do your room OR cover as well as you can, turn off any air pumps, and hope for the best.

Do you have grandparents or other relatives in the area that would let everyone, pets included stay there for a few days?

Ugh...well I think they are coming on monday or tuesday, and we are leaving wednesday for an 11 day cruise. My bf is going to come over every day to take care of the animals, but his parents hate pets, especially mice so they can't take them. I don't really have any other friends that could take them...maybe our neighbor but they have a cat. My grandma is a possibility, but she has a cat too, who used to go outdoors all the time. She used to have a betta in a vase and the cat never bothered it that I know of, but you never know...it could be a milo in disguise. It will be at least 110*F outdoors so I really can't leave any animals outside for an extended period, even in shade. I don't think we even have crates anymore. Ehhhhhh I'm stressing.

My dad says they are spraying the entire house, including my room. No exceptions :(

Edited by Kissy

The Pest People say that cats and dogs will be fine....should I trust them? They asked if we had fish, birds and small animals...so I guess they will just try to be more careful? I don't know if I really trust them. I'd be completely heart broken if my babies died after spraying, especially my betta. If all else fails, maybe I can put him in a cup and take him with me wherever? Does that sound silly or would it stress him too much? Maybe I could do the same with my mice and tropicals. I could keep them all in coolers and shoeboxes and pretend to shop at the grocery store for a while. I've got 5 black neon tetras, 2 otos, a ghost shrimp, and a betta. Actually...I don't have any goldfish; I'm not sure why I posted here :rolleyes: It seemed fitting since it was general fish/pet discussion, but where should this thread really go? They are only hose-line spraying the permimeters of all the rooms and hallways.

When we go on vacation, my mom's friend is going to take care of our dog at their house. Maybe we can bring her over there a couple days early? I'm so scared they are going to get sick while I'm gone......

Edited by Kissy

• Supporter

No way to talk him out of waiting until after you get back I suppose? He probably is doing it then so you guys will be out of the house safely, so that is a good argument for your pets...but i know how parents can be.

I hope you have fun on your cruise and are able to find a solution for your pets so you aren't worried the whole time. Good luck Kissy!

Okay I have part of a solution. My grandma will be out of town so hopefully I can persuade my parents to at least let me bring the fish and mice over there and leave them in a closed bathroom. I was hoping I could bring the cats over and leave them in another room, but my mom threw a fit because I wouldn' t let her bring gmas cat over here. Call me paranoid, but she used to be an outdoor cat maybe 6 months-1year ago. I'm afraid she has FIV or something, and if my cats had any more pee issues they had to go. I suggested maybe borrowing some rocal from my animal shelter that I volunteer at to spray down that room, but she just got mad ._. I suggested the car with AC, but my dad was TOTALLY against that one. I'll put a thermomoter in the garage tomorrow to see how hot that gets.

I decided to bring all the fish in small containers, mouse, cats, and dog to my grandma's house. I have a small filter that I could stuff with media for the tropicals for the day that would be perfect. I gotta get up at about 6am to get them all ready in time. Wish me luck!!!

I'm at my grandmas house right now, and we all made it! 9 tropicals, a mouse, a golden retriever, two cats and four people is a lot for a little car lol. My betta was very mad at me for putting him in a small tupperwear container...I swear he still remembers the cup from the store over a year ago. He's fine in his water changing cup, but nothing else :rolleyes: The tropicals are in one of those big sports cooler water jugs, about a gallon, with some java fern and a tiny filter, and honey's in a shoe box with one of her tp tubes. Oh man you should have seen me when I got out of the car. I had spilled water all over my crotch and legs; the classic pee-in-your-pants pattern. You should have seen the look these people gave me while I was going in the house. Ah well, my pets are worth it. The sprayer guy seemed really confused that we were moving all the pets out of the house just for him. Maybe its not as toxic as I thought, but I'm still glad I moved them out :D

Edited by Kissy