Sign in to follow this  
Guest ma_ac13

Anyone Have Ranchus/lionheads In Their Ponds?

Guest ma_ac13

Hi does anyone have ranchus or lionheads on their ponds? If so can i see some pics of them please .?

Can ranchus/lionheads grow massive in a pond then?

ari-raja05 got lots of ranchus in his pond. Lionheads and ranchus are suppose to be pond fish anyway.

Guest ma_ac13

ari-raja05 cani see some pictures of your ranchus please?

I also have ranchu in my pond - well, tub, actually. But they do well in it, as long as the winters aren't too cold, or the pond is freezing. With any other fish that you put into a large water volume, they will grow bigger than in a tank, and also will have a better immune system, better colors due to the sun light and algae, and lots more of natural foods than a tank fish would have. All the bugs falling in the pond, plus the algae growing in there - sounds pretty appetizing to me... :ymmu

Here is a picture of my Ranchu, aptly named "Lump" He's still kinda shy so this is not the best picture, sorry. He shares the pond with two veiltails, one Lionhead and three fantails. This is my first ranchu. I have noticed that they are very smart and very responsive to people. Before too long he'll be eating outta my hand! :rolleyes:

Copy%20of%20DSC01440.JPG

Guest ma_ac13

does anyone else have lionheads or ranchus in their ponds?

I keep some Ranchu outdoors. I have a Lionhead out there too. They seem to do fine but I provide heat during the winter to prevent them from getting much below the mid-sixties. Our winters are generally pretty mild anyway.

Edited by Sonny

I'd like to put lionheads and ranchus in my pond but I don't think that they would be able to survive a Wisconsin winter.

I would also like to put them outside, but the winters here can get to -30 or even colder on occasion, there's no way I could keep the water anywhere near 60 in that weather

I am also thinking about putting some fancies in my outside pond. I was looking at ari-raja's photos. They are very cool. But did the pond look a bit crowded or is it just me? I am waiting for the water to get a bit warm before getting the facny goldies.