Black Moor Or Ranchu?

Here is my delima. If the two ryukins I have do well and get big, I will get them a bigger tank. And I will also want to get another fish. But which fish should I get? Which one would to the best with my two other fish?

There two places that I would probably go. The first is the ovious vvvv. It is where I got my two that I have now. But there selection of goldfish is low. The breeds that were there were: black moors, ryukins, and orandas. The other place is called Fish, Fish, Fish. It is a very nice place with people devoted to working with fish. But they also have a low selection of goldies. The kind I noticed were: fantails, orandas, and bubble eyes. They had a few other breeds, but I did not know allot about goldies at the time. I think that if I wanted a ranchu, than they could order some in for me, but I am not shure. Help? :(

Both the moor and ranchu will do great with your ryukins, but the moor might have a bit of difficulty in competing for food due to their poor eyesight.

Having said that, there's no stopping you getting either fish ;)

Guest WinstonSmith1984

I hate to say this,but I am slowly starting to believe that Black Moors are jinxed.Probably the Ranchu would be better.I have one and she is easy to take care of.-Winston

I personally wouldn't mix a moor with ryukins, like d_golem said the Moor will find it difficult to compete for food. that and the fact that most people say that ryukins can be aggressive

Ryukins tend to be pretty big and fiesty fish.I would probably go with the personalities of your fish. Are they big bruiser kind of pushy guys? Then you may want to go with Oranda's,Fantails.etc. Moor's are NOT jinxed!

I have one Moor Mambo that could hang with anyone.She doesn't see the best,but she's right in everyone's face when it comes to feeding time. :lol:

I agree. Moors and other Telescope eyed fish grow huge and strong. They are powerful, active fish. Even though they may have protruding eyes - even the ones with big ponderous jello eyes - they compete well with most fancies, are active, hardy fish. My biggest was over 10 inches and was a very powerful fellow. My biggest, now, is his daughter, at 1 1/2 years of age is a good 8 incher.

Many Black Moors, found commonly in LFS are mixes of red/white or red Demekins. They may start out as black, but, as they age, they change to totally orange, red or red/white. If you buy such a fish, you may have to accept the fact that you will end up with a red fish, not a black fish.

These crosses were made to bring the velvety black color of the English Black Moor to the body conformation of the Telescope Eye and Demekin. Red, being dominant, usually will win out over time.

Ranchu, on the other hand are very different from the ryukin. Having no top fin may make them a good, eye-catching addition to a tank. They grow very large, powerful and impressive in a short amount of time, also. They have no vision or swimming problems - and no flowing tails for the roudy ryukins to pick on.

Either fish is a good choice. Get what pleases your eye. Realize that a fish is only going to be as healthy, large etc. as its genes and upbringing will allow it to be. If your local store is loaded with parasites/disease, you are starting out already fighting problems before you begin - and this can lead to BIG hassles and heartaches. Get as healthy, clean and strong a fish as you can and quarantine it carefully and you should have a wonderful swimming companion, regardless of what breed you choose.

with what i have experienced with my own fish is, my ryukin is a big gentle man, he is sweet and never rough with any of my fish, he never nudges ect during feeding or in relaxing or sleeping ect. now i have also been abit jinx with blackmoores i owned afew when i was younger and they all died, but that was when i didnt know anything about fish, i now have as small 1 inch blackmoore been with me 2 weeks today, he is strong and anice strong type with good width top to bottom of girth. so i'm confident this guy will be ok, he even had abit of trouble with my male bristlenose with the bristle nose attcking him during feed time, and a few scales went missing, but i sold mr bristle last week, i just kept my quiet female. then my ranchu that i have he has also been a gentle big sweet boy as well, the only thing he does is he will nudge anything with his head if it is the way of hidden food, thats hidding in the corners, his very good at finding 5 min left over snakes in the corners, maybe thats why his a big boy?? with my fish the only one i have seen nibbling on my fish was my orange oranda, and his been told 1 more strike and his out, but his lovely tail always, gets me and i say give him another go. he has on 2 occasions given my big fat slow male ping pong ball pearlscale a few nibbles and as they dont have scales, they very quickly bruise up with blood under there flesh, but he does repair very quickly. so orange oranda be careful i'm watching you boy,. so back to the question, get which ever you find nicer on the day of purchase as they both will do well, i keep all those together with lionheads and celestial and other handicapped eyes a telescope calico and a butterful talescope. and they all do fine for food, just make sure they are growing and theres bellies and full:)

Archived