I Give Up Now. Seriously.

Nattviska

Since Lucifer died I have been doing 30% water changes every day, just in case there would be something funky in the water. I fed Scales some pea to clean out his system in case he's been eating of the plants and later that evening I caught him pooping, and the poop was very normal looking. No weird behaviour, no clamped fins, no scales poking out, water readings perfect. Today he's on his side, gasping, and will probably die in a few hours. Just like Lucifer did a few days ago. I don't understand. I can't do anything to help because I can't find the problem! I'm just so upset right now. When all this is over, I'm off the goldfish. Apparently there's no point in getting them because they all die on me of disease or freak accidents. I hate this. I hate it. I feel like such a failure. I've tested the water again and again and there's nothing wrong. I don't understand what caused this. He was fine yesterday. And so was Lucifer a week ago. I just don't get it. I keep getting bashed by life. I've lost my family, my health, my fish, my money, and definately the lust to keep trying. There's just no use in doing anything anymore, because I seem to fail at everything. I will come back and read about your lovely fish, but I will probably not get any more of my own. I can't deal with this anymore.

:heart

I dont know what to say, you're not a failure, you're doing nothing wrong.

Have you salted the tank? maybe try epsom salt?

..sometimes dropsy can be dropsy without the dropsy.. if that makes sense.. without the pineconing.

I'm so sorry about this, Nat! :cry1 There is no words of comfort, and I cannot understand what went wrong. :( I think, sometimes not even proffessional fishkeepers can't tell.

I do hope you will come back and post here. You have a lot of knowledge to share.

Guest pixiemoon

Come on!!!you cant give up..life is all about challenges.were they from same shop,my friend?they were maybe inferior and were not strong inside.try a new shop.one at a time..see how you get on.try not to get too attached and if you expect the worst you may be suprised.i have had losses too,and now when i buy them i think'i wonder if it will still be living next week'and when they are its nice.we have all been there♥

'when youre standing on the edge of nowhere-theres only one way up-and your hearts gotta go there'

Guest pixiemoon

Oh and one more thing that may make you smile-after seeing your banner on here with'moorticia'on it i told everyone what you called your moor and they all loved the name and agreed how clever that was:)

I went through the same thing last year when I lost most of my fish in the space of a few weeks, so I know how you feel, Nat. It took me six months before I could even bring myself to get another fish.

I don't know if you recall, but it turned out that the water people maxed up the chloramine in my tapwater, more than my usual water conditioner dose was able to detox, and my fish were suddenly going on their sides and dying like yours now. They were fine like yours one minute and then fell on their sides and died a few hours after I did a water change. Falling on their side is a unique symptom which I now take to be a sign of poisoning (in my case, chloramine).

So based on my own tragic experience, seeing as your tank is testing fine and your fish are fine too one day but suddenly dying the next, and you're doing lots of water changes, I'd recommend at least check your tapwater before blaming yourself and giving up. I too blamed myself and almost gave up, but am very glad now that I didn't.

Good luck. :heart

Guest SeriousLy

Wow. I'm new here but I hope it's ok that I try to encourage you. Life's been kinda sucky for me lately too and when, after struggling like22 to keep our surprise fry alive for a month, they all died at once I kinda felt the same way. That being said, I truly believe that obstacles make you stronger and if you get past them you really benefit. So, hang in there.

Oh, and indeed "Moorticia" has got to be the coolest name for a black moor.

• 3 weeks later...

well you should keep trying and never give , you are not a loser until you give up, i can only tell you that i had 18 fish in a pond all died in the same day because of toxication with chlore in water, they did exactly as u said, they were very good and normal at night, in the morning 17 were dead and the last one died within an hour later, try again and take care for the chlore in water.

I'm very sorry about Scales.. I don't know what to say.

You are not a failure. Obviously you love your fish very much and they should be proud to have a loving owner.

And I must admit.. I smiled when I saw that you named your black moor Moorticia. <3

Edited by Carmel