Water Temperature Too High!

Hi,

At my place in the afternoon, the water trmp cn reach to 32 degrees...at night around 28-30 degrees.

I was wondering can i put dry ice inside the water to cool it down as a permanent solution?

Btw, whaat wil happen to my ranchu is the water temp is always 30-32 degrees? It has been like this all this while and the fish is still fine. What i heard is that it should be between 24-28 degrees.

Any advice or other solutions?

I am having a ranchu in that 12G now running with 2 filters(600L/hour each)with protein skimmer too.

Thanks GF lovers! =)

• Supporter

I know that some people take plastic water bottles (rinse them well) and freeze them full of water and then add them to the tank to lower temperature, or also take a small fan with a light wind and set it on top to lightly skim the water. If you have a tank lid, keeping it open can help a lot too.

Not sure about the dry ice though, I would be afraid that if the fish got near it is would burn them and also that there might be chemicals in it? I am totally guessing there though.

Good luck.

Edited by jen626

Jen's right Jason. I've used waterbottles as they're good when the sun is going down but in the middle of the day - the heat just makes it melt and the temp rises again.

The fan is the best idea. In summer, I rig up those little desk fans on top of the tank and they keep the water nice and cool. It's a bit like when you're wet and stand in front of a fan - even on the hottest day you will still feel cold.

A friend of mine has a marine tank and his cooler broke down so he rigged up 2 fans and the water remained very cool - even on a day when temps got into the high 30's/low 40's.

I wouldn't put dry ice in my tank - it's frozen C02 and when it hits the water, it will bubble like mad.... it will look like your tank is boiling :D

Dry Ice is -78 celcius, its WAY too cold for your tank. My fish love nice and warm temps, they are really slow and sluggish at winter temps (25C/77F). My tank is 35 and above for about 6months of the year, it easily reaches 40 a few times as well.

But if your fish arent used to it, or are showing signs of stress, then maybe you could look into something, but i wouldn't worry about it much.

The only thing to consider with higher temps is raising the aeration in your tank :)

I don't like higher temps because bacteria, fungus and parasites become more active at higher temperatures - call me paranoid but I like to keep temps lower to avoid an over abundance of bacteria in my water :D

On the other hand, Jen, the good filter bacteria also grows well and even works best at 32C. You can cycle a tank in half the time it usually takes at lower temps. ;)

I agree with if the fish is fine, it's fine and just leave it. It could even tolerate more. Any attempts to lower the temp will only be temporary so the fluctuations will be more harmful than anything else.

I also agree about having extra aeration as warmer water holds less oxygen, and fish have a higher metabolism in warmer water so needs more oxygen, so it's a two-edged sword.