Help! My Fish Are Sick!

Guest wimsey

Guest wimsey

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this group so if I appear out of the loop as it were, please forgive me.

We have a 55 gallon tank and have had only two fantails (sorry I don't know the exact species) for about two years who have thrived and provided much enjoyment. About 10 days ago we got three additional fish to add to the tank as well as two algae eaters to help keep the tank clean. Our fish are Fred and Ethel. About four days after adding the new fish to the tank Fred and Ethel started acting very strangely. We thought perhaps the new fish, although small, were causing some stress, so we removed the newcomers to an outdoor patio pond. Ethel is about 5 inches long not counting her beautiful fins, Fred is about an inch and a half smaller.

Now they are hunkered down in a corner of the aquarium rarely moving, and Fred's tail fins look like they are covered in red veins.

Can anyone give me a clue about what to do here? I'm strictly an amateur when it comes to fish and my care and feeding book isn't helping much. They are wonderful fish and I'd like to keep them alive if possible. Ethel in particular is, or has been, poetry in motion and is a pleasure to watch.

Thanks,

Wimsey

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Im sorry your lovely fish are sick and we will try to help as best we can.

First of all could you try and answer as many questions in the box above as possible. I know you have provided a bit of it but knowing your water test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph would help us.

It may be the new fish brought in something that upset the harmony of your tank. Its common for this to happen in setups where new fish are introduced without being quarantined forst.

It could also be that your filter couldnt cope with the influx of fish and ammonia and nitrites could have appeared.

Others will be along to help as well and in the meantime do a 50% water change and get some aquarium salt if you havent already got some.

Guest WinstonSmith1984

I agree,Wimsey,salt that water.Are your Algae eaters Plecos?They may be fighting with your fish.-Winston

Edited by WinstonSmith1984

Lets take this a step at a time, Winston, ok? We need to carefully examine all the facts surrounding this tank before any diagnosis is made. I know you want to help, but sometimes it is better to get a bit more information before jumping to a solution.

Sandy is right - the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings for this tank are essential. It may be that your tank, having run for 2 years with the two fish was perfectly balanced with the biological cycle set up to handle just the two fish. When you added 5 more, the filter was simply not up to the job of processing all the fish's waste - and the ammonia/nitrite values climbed. If it did manage to rise to the job of processing the new waste load, it may be that your nitrates spiked really high. Both of these conditions can be highly stressing - and stress can be one reason for lethagic actions and red streaked tails.

It is also possible that the new fish brought in a parasite or a bacteria to the tank. It is not uncommon for fish that carry some "nasties" to be more or less immune to them. When you place them in a tank of other fish that are not used to the "nasties" the other fish immediately succumb to the problems brought by the bacteria/parasites. We just need to help you sort this out so the best course of action is recommended.

WElcome - I am very glad you are here. There are a lot of wonderful, helpful people here. :)

Guest WinstonSmith1984

I have heard a similar problem to this on this forum before,but I can't remember who had it.Was it Old Hag?Can't remember.-Winston <_<

Edited by WinstonSmith1984