Bacterial Infection?

Ammonia Level:0

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running: 10 Gallon, 6-8 months.

Nitrite Level:0

How often do you change the water and how much: 30% About once a week or so.

Nitrate Level:5.0ppm

Filtration: Whisper Filter

Ph Level: 7.8-8.0

Water additives/conditioners: Wardley's ChlorOut, Ph Lo

What do you feed your fish: Wardley's Premium Fish Flakes, Eggs, Watermelon, Peas,

Medications add to the tank: None

How many fish in the tank and there size: 2 fish, Size of a nerds box, and half the size.

Any new fish added to the tank?

Any unusual findings on the fish?: A couple scales are missing.

Alright, my large fantail fish has a bacterial infection. I was wondering if there was anything I could do for it? It's fins are clamped, but it's swimming and eating, though half-heartedly. It kind of just floats at the top of the tank now, and has sort of a 'clumsy' swim. I've seen traces of short white/ clear poop stuck to the rim of the water's edge, so I'm pretty sure it some bacteria.

Is there anything I can do for it to make it better? Special Food, Medicine, etc?

Thanks!

I use melafix which is an antibacterial and if that isn't enough I combine it with pimafix which is an antifungal but it can also be used for bacterial infections.

I often hear on here about maracyn and maracyn 2 which are for bacterial infections someone will tell you more about them as they seem not to be available in UK.

Also for goldfish your pH is high as it should usually be around 7.0

Goldfish also require 20gallons per fish for commons and comets or 10gallons each for fancy goldfish.So I suspect your main prob is down to water quality.

:welcome hope you enjoy being here as much as I do :)

You could try medigold.

Do more water changes through the week and if you use gravel either get a gravel vac or consider getting rid of it as bacteria can grow and multiply if its not cleaned regularly.

Your ph is swinging a lot which can stress fish out, this may be the case rather than anything bacterial. Do more water changes and see if the ph remains the same as the tap. Dont use ph adjusters as this can make things worse.

Have you anything in the tank that could be changing the ph, such as an ornament? stones?

The ph is fine Blue as long as it doesnt swing which it is doing, maybe because of the adjuster. A ph at 9 would need something doing to it.

Thanks for that one sandy.Always thought ideal pH should be around 7.0 obviously I'm well out.

Thanks for replying guys. :)

All I have are a couple of decorations, plastic plant and a large fake rock thing I bought at a pet store, so it should be okay, right?

I'm thinking the ph might be stressing it out, however the ph in my tank was originally 8.8 and the tap is 7.4, so I was using some Ph lo to tone it down. Should I continue doing this or not?

I also don't have a correct tank lighting, I'm using tungsten lighting, (a.k.a. the normal lightbulb), would this be promoting too much bacterial or algae growth?

I'll be getting a gravel vacum, as well as an air pump/stone soon, hopefully today or tommorow. Eep, I haven't cleaned my gravel in awhile, I usually just take my fish out, mess around with the gravel and let the filter do it's thing.

Medigold, melafix? Could I get these at my lfs?

melafix is easily available in america its made by an american company called API.You should have no probs obtaining it.

Melafix is only strong enough to act as an antiseptic so is good for healing fins and minor wounds. For it to be stronger you would need to add pimafix at the same time and even then its doubtful its still strong enough.

More water changes and a bigger filter with more media usually sorts things out.

Medigold is an antibiotic food that helps from the inside out and should be of help and easy to get in America.

As for the ph. Try testing first thing in the morning, again at 3 and again at 9 or 10 at night and see if you get different readings.

PH reading is still 8.0

Erm...I bought Pimafix because it said it treated internal and external infections, would it be enough?

And when adding medication, should I remove my other fish?

Hmm, none of my lfs sold any medicated fish foods, but I hope just the meds will be enough.

Thanks!

Alrighty, so I added Melafix and Pimafix, removed carbon from my filter, added my new air pump/stone, and my fish is still not looking good.

Pimafix was added yesterday and melafix added today.

Tested all levels are still fine.

My fantail's fins are all tightly clamped, and now the gills seem to be excessively red. He's also very lethargic and didn't even come for food today, and he hangs around the corners of my tank. I'm getting worried. :( Could this be gill flukes are something? Does Melafix and Pimafix treat it anyway?

Well, now I'm down to one.

My larger fantail passed away just 5 minutes ago. The last thing he did was he swam up to me, then; he left. :(

Man, I think my other goldfish knew he was going to go, 'cause last night he was laying right next to him, and in the early moring I found them laying head to tail next to each other. It was really cute.

I can only assume it was a major bacterial infection, or stress? I double checked him and he has absolutely no distinguished disease symtoms, and well...yea....

Melafix and Pimafix just didn't work this time around.

Bah, now I have to try to find a place to bury him where my parents won't dig him up for garden work.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

Sincerely,

IluvMehFishies

Archived