Sign in to follow this  
Guest squeeker

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Guest squeeker

I just got back from a 3 week vacation for my wedding and honeymoon, and was amazed at how the pond plants have grown in since I've been gone!

Here's a before shot:

29131048.jpg

And this was taken today (my lily is blooming!!!)

03121857.jpg

03121921.jpg

Wow that is some amazing growth! Hope you had a great time and congratulations on getting married. :)

:D The pond looks great-everything took off beautifully,didn't it? :lol:

Squeeker, first off, CONGRATS on your marriage!! :heart I pray you have a loooong and happy one. :heart

Your pond plants are beautiful!! I have always had a green thumb and growing pond plants has been a passion for me for a long time.

Here is a picture of my pond taken today in full bloom. Over the years I became adventurous and have planted tropical and night blooming lilies. This pond has been in this location for about 15 years and the lilies are that old. They are separated and divided about every two years. The "moss" type plant on the left side of the pond is actually tyme. It becomes more lovely each year because it hugs the rocks of the pond and creates a carpet effect.

Hardy lilies can be left outside all year round if the pond does not freeze solid. The tropical lilies must be overwintered inside unless you live in a sub-tropical area such as Florida.

DSC01355.JPG

Guest squeeker

Things are still growing around the pond! The water isn't crystal clear, but the green water is good for the fish anyway, so I don't mind.

Updated pic:

19132427.jpg

Two lily flowers!

19132218.jpg

Fishie pics:

Wilson, a friend's pearlscale, who is spending his summer in the pond

19132304.jpg

Tux (orange), Cleo (white) and Nemo (calico) chowing down

19132700.jpg

I must say, I've REALLY noticed a dramatic improvement in the fish's colors since they've been in the pond! I think they've grown quite a bit, too!

My water hyacinth should flower in a couple days, too... it'll be the first time!

Wow Squeeker, that looks really wonderful!! And those two lilies have a nice lilac color... :heart

Duckweed I see too. It does really nicely in your pond. Lucky you, mine always got eaten before it ever got a chance to even remotely look like that... :lol:

Really nice pond. Well done.

What's the basin? A stock tank?

Guest squeeker

Thanks!

I really like the look of duckweed, and my fish love the taste of it! I can't keep it growing in the tanks because they eat it so fast, but with only the 4 small fish in the 150g pond the duckweed can multiply. I think I'm going to freeze it when summer's over and use the frozen duckweed in their gel food.

The pond isn't a stock tank, it's a Hagen preformed pond liner. I got it free from someone on a local fish forum!

Nice pond! I grow my duckweeds in a kiddie pool and i just feed the duckweed directly to the fish in the main pond.