Sign in to follow this  
Bert & Co.

Neighbor Thinks Fountain Is Too Loud - Ideas?

:o Tonight my neighbors came over to tell me the fountain on my fish pond is too loud. She was very nice about it, and said the "pitch" of it gives her a sick stomach. This is the first time we've ever talked, and she brought another neighbor with her because she didn't know how I'd react (the other neighbor assured her I'm nice).

I'm simply sick about this, because the sound of the fountain is a major de-stresser for me. I love hearing it and find it very relaxing. Also, it's the only thing I have to aerate the pond, which is critical this time of the year because of the hot weather. I feel like saying, "fine, I'll find something else if you agree to keep your cat inside". I love their cat, but because he's outdoors he goes after birds, squirrels, etc. and fights with other cats, defeating some of the reasons I keep my cat inside.

I have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank with a basic Beckett Biological Pond Filter. It's in the only shady spot in the yard, and within 25 feet of the back porch plug-in, so I can't move it anywhere else.

I've been using the fountain head attachment with the holes in it as this creates a nice spray. The only other attachment it came with has slits in it, which divides the water into 3 parts and makes it even louder.

For now I've taken the head off, and the pipe is just barely above water so I don't think it's going to provide as much aeration.

Suggestions?? I just e-mailed Beckett to see if they have any other attachments. I need to find a compromise-- quieter, but will still have a fountain effect and do the job. Any help would be much appreciated. I've got to figure something out fast.

Not sure about where you live but the fountian is legal and her cat running around out side is not. I dont think Id worry about it. But then again thats just me. lol Or I would of at least told her when she brings the cat indoor (permently) Ill get myself a new fountain. That way you save a cats life and she get the quiter fountain. (Outdoor cat life expencey if your lucky is about four years. Both of mine are indoors and never never get out not even by accident.) Knocks on wood.

I hope you find a fix since not upsetting your neightbor is important to you.

Thanks. I just don't think of water noise the same as the problem dog barking nearby, or the drum player 2 houses over, although we discussed those things tonight too.

Their house is owned by the same landlord, which is one reason to care. But I've had the setup for 10 months, and this is the first time anyone's said anything. Also, the landlords were the ones who gave me the stock tank, so I think they'd be understanding if it comes to it.

I have to admit to being irritated because-- right now, for example-- I'm inside with the windows open, and don't hear my pond. We're having hot weather and my fish need aeration. I've been shopping online, but am upset about this because one of the coolest things about having a pond is seeing and hearing the fountain. It's a centerpiece of the backyard. And I don't really want to spend any money to solve this.

The neighbor didn't say she's against the fountain altogether, but is just hoping that I can find something quieter with a different pitch. Maybe there is something more "misting" out there...

I wish I would have discussed the cat issue when she was here. Because if I ever do it, it will seem like revenge for the fountain. You're right, people's pets are supposed to stay on their own property. Recently I had to rescue another cat from a tree in my yard when their cat chased it up there.

Grr.

I don't believe that any fountain would be breaking noise restriction regulations, I wonder that she can hear it at all. What would she expect you to do if you had a swimming pool and a loud filter running? I think she may be a bit neurotic. If it wasn't the fountain I'm sure she would find something else to "make her feel sick".

I wouldn't do anything about it, if she can hear it and doesn't like the noise she could close her windows and doors. We all have to live alongside one another and that means being tolerant, just as you are tolerant of her cat and it's misdemeanors.

She has never bothered to make your aquaintance before and probably won't again so why should you make changes to accommodate her whim? If she says anymore about it just tell her you are looking in to it. Just keep stalling and she will eventually give up - or tell her to take a flying leap.

Personally, I think she has the hide of a rhino to even make such a complaint to you. Some people do find it difficult to live in suburbia with all it's little noises but if that's the case they should find somewhere more solitary to live, not expect their neighbours to tread on egg shells.

edit: I wouldn't worry about the landlord either, he is aware of your situation and the worse he can do is tell you to take the fountain head off. I found many times in the past I would worry myself sick about a situation that turned out ok. Just do nothing and leave it in her hands.

Edited by Fishmerised

Guest invertedsilver

Yikes.

Neighbors can be so frustraiting, luckily though on my street everyone pretty much leaves everyone alone.

The cats are let outside, and have one has even lived like that for 12 years.

The elderly neighbors like the cats keeping the moles out of their yards, and in the summer like to sit outside and pet them.

In fact, on several occasions our big fluffy monsters are allowed inside for winter visits.

Though, if one of them decided to build a pond I don't know what I'd do to keep the cats within the correct limits, without sacraficing them the enjoyment of being outside.

And of course you KNOW i'd be over there gawking at the fish.

I don't really see how a foutain could cause more of a problem than a barking dog or something, and seeing as you have the same land lord, it may be that she's just trying to ruffle your feathers. Some people are spitefull like that.

Either way, you don't have to do a thing untill your landlord says so, so like the others have said I'd leave it be.

Maybe the lady can come over and meet your fish sometime, find out that the fountain is actualy nice or whatever. I mean, its not niagra falls. =/

If you are worried that it will come to the attention of the landlord be prepared to explain your side of the story. Her request is unreasonable and selfish.

Check out the terms and conditions of your lease. There is a standard clause in Aust that says something like "the right to quiet and peaceful enjoyment of the property". If you have something like that then you are within your rights to have the fountainhead going, it is not uncommonly loud and is a standard part of many gardens, why should you have to sacrifice what you enjoy because of an unreasonable request?

I think I'll vote with the neighbor being kind of psycho.

You are very sweet to worry about it but water noise? Puhlleeze! It would be one thing if you knew her well but for her to come over the first time to complain about something, well, imo that is just rude.

I can't imagine a fountain being loud enough to bother someone off your property unless they are leaning against your fence eavesdropping or something. Any chance you did some else inadvertently to make this neighbor angry? I just think that is the weirdest thing ever. Tell her you'll turn it down/up a bit (even if you don't) and that'll change the "pitch" and let her go back to her cuckoo's nest.

You seem like a very nice person and I don't want your neighbor making you upset, and just seeing that you are makes me know that you are probably the best neighbor on the block.

(LOL, I am writing this after just having a bizarre experience with our neighbors, so yeah, i am a little onthe bitter side-so take this post with a trace of sarcasm)

Edited by jen626

I third that. This sounds like the neighbour's mental problem. If it wasn't the fountain noise it would be the

sound of something else you have. I do understand that you want to be polite though and keep relations good as if they sour things can get nasty.

I think you have a very good argument about the waterfall sound being therapeutic after all how many psychotherapists/buddhists/ recommend music of water and river and fountain sounds for relaxation and meditation. Many do. Just how loud is it?If you think she's being unreasonable about the noise level which it sounds as if she is then you should very politely but firmly stand your ground. If you think she'll get nasty and/or has a point then compromise with a part or whatever to make the sound a little less and tell her that is absolutely all you can do.

Neighbours :krazy: I have one if its any consellation who regularly comes round (also with the support of a friend) to ask if I can cut the few pretty sprigs off the jasmine tree that are hanging over the wall and are therefore on her 'side'.

Edited by Trinket

Instead of buying a new fountain head, perhaps you could save a little money by gifting your neighbour with some seasick pills instead?

Seriously though, I would tell her she's more than welcome to go out and buy you a new one on the condition that it offers the same level of aeration to your pond... then the problem would be resolved to the satisfaction of both of you :D Why should you pay for it?

The nerve of the woman. I wonder what happens to her stomach when it rains? :o

:lol: Well it's a good thing that she's not around here for the wind's, Thunder & Lightning,and the downpours that we've been having lately!!! :lol1:rofl

And BTW,I'd also let her pay for it if it bothered her that much.

Oh my! Don't hold this against me friends, but I'm gonna side with the nutty neighbor. I am a very "noise sensitive" type person. A quick example is my neighbor has an exhaust fan in their roof eave that faces my yard. All I hear is that low and constant roar of a fan running. I finally asked hem if the fan could be moved to the other side of the house. They had no idea that I was bothered by the noise. Nor would thay have unless I brought it to their attention. I believe that it is the neighborly thing to do to request a noise problem be resloved. Now, that being said, I totally enjoy the sound of a fountain!!! That does not mean that ALL people love that sound. There may indeed be some pitch of sound generated by the fountain head that annoys her. My suggestion: Tell her that you are sorry that the sound upsets her. Then tell her that you will "attempt" to solve the sound issue. That way there will maintain an open communication between neighbors in case her CAT becomes a problem! BTW...there is nothing wrong with telling her about her cat! As for the fountain, maybe you could try a different fountain head that has a slightly smaller or more open spay pattern. And to aide in the aeration issue, a simple air pump and an airstone will suffice. Good luck!

I am noise sensitive as well but as someone else pointed out, that is the price of living in the suburbs! I can hear my neighbors behind me all the time, and it bothers me that I can look into their yard, so I am putting up lattice work and plants. No big deal.

As far as the fountain head, rather than having it spray, just take off the head and keep the pipe below water, facing up, and it will ripple the surface just as much but without splashing. That's how we had one of the ponds set up at the pet store, for maximum surface movement in a crowded sales pond.

I'm glad to be getting comments from the noise sensitive people too.

Cost is an issue. Since I have a good relationship with the landlords, I think I'll give them a heads up about this. This might not be solved for a couple paydays.

It is weird to me that this is the first time they've ever spoken to me, and I've had the setup 10 months. We have been having hot weather, so maybe this is the first time they have had their windows open at night.

I will admit that it wouldn't hurt to have an aerator in the pond as well. I cleaned it just a week ago and it's already murky thanks to the hot weather. How to plug it in, no idea, unless it comes with a really long cord, and then I'll have 2 cords hanging off the back porch.

Does anyone have both a filter/fountain and aerator (both)?

The neighbor was nice about it, it just bewilders me that people never see their own actions as annoying.

To answer the person who asked if I'd done anything to tick them off recently, can't think of a thing. I never talk to them, they're usually the ones with fairly noisy company, my pets stay in my yard, etc. She doesn't strike me as that kind of person. But while I'm young, they're younger, college students, which might explain some of it. Except that I'm a college student too...

ROFL Me too!!

I think if you are able to push the water up it will ripple the surface enough to serve as an aerator. At the pet store we did this on our horribly crowded feeder pond and it kept the water oxygenated, even in the middle of the summer. It may still be ripply but it definitely wont be splashing.

I hope you guys are able to work this out peacefully. You definitely dont want your neighbors upset with you!

This just keeps getting stranger. I e-mailed Beckett. They promptly replied and said they offer a cheap nozzle kit, #1420, which makes bell-shaped and trumpet-shaped water flow. I think I'll buy it, but I don't know if it will be quieter. At least if I do I can say I did something.

I'm still thinking of adding an aerator anyway when I can afford it, since the fountain doesn't do a super job aerating regardless. Anybody have both?

Beckett's customer service person replied: "Now I've heard it all!"

For health reasons I can't travel, so coming home from work and getting a long weekend like this weekend IS my vacation. My backyard is my oasis, my safety zone, where no one can bug me and I can completely relax. Or so I thought. I think that's why this really bothered me, that it may seem like a small thing to them, but having the sound of water around is a huge deal for me. It's therapeutic, and my fish like it too.

If anyone knows of a good brand of aerator for a 300 gallon tank-- thank you!

I am not eccentric. It's just that I am more alive than most people. I am an unpopular electric eel set in a pond of goldfish. -Edith Sitwell

okay, wait a second. You only have a 300 gallon pond and your neighbor is getting a sick stomach because of the sound of the water coming out of the pump? Rediculous! Infact that is just unbelievable. I have a 1 hp pump, I know yours isn't close, and can barely hear the water from the drive way of my house, can barely hear it from one neighbors back yard and can't hear it from the other neighbors yard. I am sure that you don't want to be a bad neighbor, it sounds to me that you have bad neighbors. They let their cats roam, which is bad. I can't imagine how they are able hear your pump, unless you have a monstor in your small pond. I just think they don't want you to have the pond. Maybe they are afraid of masquitos? The more the water moves the better to keep masquitos out of it. Have you gone over to their yard to see if you can hear your pond? I don't believe that it's possible to hear it, I just don't see how it's possible. My water fall is right next to the property line and the neighbor who is on that property line they cannot hear my pond in their back yard hardely at all. They can hear the spray bars, but not bad. Again this is a 1 hp pump.

I have a aerator as well in the pond. You realize that an aerator isn't going to give you near as much as your pump does? I bought my aerator to give a little more air but mainly to get water movement in dead areas.

Anyhow, it sounds rediculous to me that they are complaining about something like this. I am glad that they don't live next to me.

Scott

I say just keep an eye out for when your neighbor is outside and within sight of you pond and then go out and mess with the fountain, look like your trying to fix it. I too think it might be a phsycological thing thing with the neighbor. You've had had the pond for a while, why is it a problem now and not before. I'd look in to just how well that lady can hear the fountain from her yard before you go and spend money to fix her problem ;)

Just on the subject of aeration, how deep is your pond and how many fish do you have in it? How wide is it?, ie how big is the water surface?

It's probably not necessary to add any extra aeration unless you have heaps of fish and a very deep, narrow pond, or an overabundance of plants.

Just to compare with my set-up, I have a 200g tub that is 2 foot deep, I have 17 medium sized gf, a 1.5hp pump that powers the filter and a fountain. The filter return where the water pours back into the pond actually provides more surface disturbance and noise than the poor little fountain.

Can you provide us with a bit more info because it may be that areation isn't a major issue?

Another thing I don't quite understand is that the neighbour complains about the 'pitch' of the fountain, is she talking about a mechanical noise? My pump is underwater, there is no pitch, only the sound of running water.

If you are going to address this issue (I wouldn't be bothered myself), it might be useful to visit your neighbours place just to hear exactly what she is referring to.

That's a good idea Annette and while you're over there, ask if she'd be willing to chip in. I still can't believe her problem is going to cost you :( If it were me, i wouldn't pay a cent but would take a new fountain head to their liking and at their cost

My daughter is noise sensitive and she would have said right at the beginning if there was a problem as it would have been unbearable.

I think shes complaining because she doesnt like the noise of the fountain at night if the windows are open. Maybe switching the fountain off at night might help?

Its a good idea to ask where she is when she hears the fountain and if she says its everywhere then thats just rubbish.

If she complains more then go to the landlord first and have a word in his ear about it.

Is your pond filtered at all or just a fountain? Maybe using the pump and creating a waterfall might be quieter for her and you can still hear the waterfall.

As for the cats, is there any law that cats cant roam. Here in the uk cats can go where they please as they arent seen as having an owner.

Over here cats can "trespass" on your property and you have the right to catch them and have them removed (by professional animal catchers). I've never known it to be enforced though.

Strange, poor kitties, they don't recognise the same boundaries as we do. My cats are indoor/outdoor cats and my next door neighbour shot Kitty with an air gun once, he still has the pellet in his shoulder. Lucky it didn't go into his guts or he might have been seriously injured. I don't think my neighbour did it out of malice to us because we are friendly, he probably thought kitty was feral - still that's no excuse but he's a hunting kind of guy, goes hunting on the weekends.

He used to shoot birds in his backyard and they would start to fly off and drop into our backyard, one dropped on my head one day and scared the jeepers out of me. I complained long and loud so he would hear me over the fence and there have been no shooting incidents since then.

I never confronted him about shooting Kitty, I'm not fond of arguing with a man and his gun. ;)

DO NOT SHUT YOUR FOUNTAIN OFF AT NIGHT! That is when your fish really need the oxygen. At night they are competing with the algae for oxygen, that would be cruel! You need to find out if this person really has an issue, I can't see how it's possible. If she does maybe you need to change your set up but if you are keeping the fish you cannot shut down that pump. I think that the suggestion of changing it to a water fall is a good one, and that would look nice as well plus water falls generally give even more oxygen to the water while also aiding with some (not a lot) bio filtration (depending on how you do it).

Scott

When I replied before I didn't even say that I am also noise senstive-anything that hums especially like exhaust fans, dishwashers, ebem my fish tank air pump(I live with it for the fish) etc. But I love the sound of running water and as someone else brought up, you have had it for 10 months and had it been bothering me I would not wait that long to say something. If you want silence you have to live out in the boonies, and even then there are birds, leaves etc.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out well for you and your fish. :-)

:) Maybe the phrase, "Kill' em with kindness" should be implemented here. Invite her over for a glass of tea or cup of coffee and ask her to join you for a moment of relaxation in your backyard. While out there casually bring up how stressful life can be and how relaxing it is for you to sit in your backyard and just admire your pond and fish and plants and whatever else you have back there. Bring up how the "Quiet" noise of the water flow would wash away your stress from the day! Maybe it is not as bad as what she believes it to be.