Big Sore On One Of My Quarantine Fish

Guest jamoko

Guest jamoko

so as today is the end of the three week quarantine on blu, spot, suki and scooch i decided to get them ready for the pond putting them in a mix of half pond water half quarantine water to get them adjusted to the new water.

However...when i put blu in the bucket i noticed he has a big sore on his side near his tail, he is the only one infected so far and they all have been fine up until now. I had been adding melafix to their water for the past week for spots ragged fins and that was the only complaint they had.

blusore.jpg

blusore1.jpg

Can anyone identify this for me as i have never had anything like this before on a fish. it is like a big openish sore and red looking with white bits coming out of it slightly.

the quarantine tub is cycling and i had been salting to see the fish through it...

readings today before a big water change where

ammonia 1.0ppm nitriteppm 0.5 nitrate 0ppm ph 7.8

I have salted the water and added both primafix and melafix and obviously they are all back in the quarantine tub with him incase they too are carrying the infection.

thanks

Jude

Jude, could he have gotten himself stuck to something? Looks like some physical damage there.

There are heavy guns like PP paste and such, but you could try something simpler, and more readily available first. What you need, and probably already have in the house, is ordinary hydrogen peroxide and antibacterial ointment like Neosporin, and cotton swabs.

Fetch the fish with your hands (when you are left handed, hold him with your right hand, and vice versa), then get some peroxide on a cotton swab and thouroughly clean the exposed area. Then apply a nice coat of ointment on the area, wait a few seconds, and then let the fish go.

The ointment might come off after a while in the water, but its okay. I can't remember for the life of me which one holds better, ointment or cream, so you might have to experiment a little bit with what kind of antibiotic cream holds longer.

You only can clean out the wound with peroxide once, since it otherwise will take off healing material as well, and we don't want that. But you can reapply the cream/ointment a few times a day. :)

Guest jamoko

thanks andrea! yes it's highy possible that he's damaged himself as the quarantine tub he is in is a roofspace water tub and it has two plastic ridges along the bottom of it so he could have bashed one of those...i hope that's what it is anyway! he's still very active and is keen for food so he doesn't seem too bothered by it.

i don't have any ointment in the house right now but could get some tomorrow if necessary. I actually treated with melafix and primafix and the melafix is antibacterial and is suitable for open body wounds so perhaps that will do instead?

how long would a wound like that normally take to heal?

You should see some improvement within a few days. Just keep the water pristine during that time. Sometimes a wound can be really stubborn, like Daryl's fish Kermit proofs here in this section of the board. But that is really a rare exception. I have seen a wound on a koi go away completely within a week's time, but that was with a PP paste. :)