Just A Question...

Guest Zyenthillias

Guest Zyenthillias

What are the possible side-effects of an overpopulated tank, and is it possible for fish to be stressed out about it even when they all choose to hang out at the same corner of the tank?

Overpopulation means the water quality will be less then perfect resulting in a lowered immunity. Once the immunity becomes compromised, then illness can set in.

How big is your tank? How many fish do you have in it? :)

Guest Zyenthillias

You're all gonna shoot me, I know. It's a 55 gallon tank, with two ryukins about 6" each, and 7 that are all under 3". As I mentioned, they all get along beautifully, and most seem to all hang out right around each other, leaving most of the tank perfectly open, so I guess I figured they wouldn't mind the new additions (each of which was maybe an inch or less (and they are included in my total from before)), buuut I guess I overdid it. I've done fairly frequent partial water changes in the last week, but now that the water is clear again and the filters/air tubes are clean, I've left it be so as not to overdo it.

I really don't have much choice in adding tanks, though, because I already have a 10 gallon set up in the only other available space in my room, and that's occupied by a highly territorial polypterus, so that's out of the question. So far I just have one fish who seems upset by all this (my largest ryukin. She's been on her back for almost a week now, and just recently started losing scales at an unhealthy rate). Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and ph all fit within the healthy recommended range, and because the problems started after I added the new fish, I know it has to be overpopulation. I just wondered if there was anything I could do without bringing fish back to the store, but without killing them, either.

:hmm

I don't think it's necessarily just the overtocking that you're dealing with at the moment. Did you quarantine your new fish? They may be harbouring something that's affecting your ryukin ie. flukes or some other parasite.

If she's losing scales, it could be due to scratching so it will be important to try and understand the underlying cause.

Are there any other symptoms such as:

- spitting out food?

- white stringy poop?

- scratching on any surfaces?

- any red spots/marks on the body?

You may need to get your hands on some parasite clear or if it's bacterial, something that treats this.....

In the meantime, you could try salting your tank for now - adding 1 teaspoon of sea, rock or aquarium salt (predissolved) per gallon and step up the waterchanges to help with the overcrowing.

What kind of filter are you running and how many gallons per hour does it filter?

Guest Zyenthillias

Well, considering she's been upside down most of the time for days now, I don't think she's eating much to begin with. In fact, none of my fish seem to have quite the appetite I would expect from goldfish, but it's always been that way, and they do eat all the food I put in there, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

I did not quarantine the new fish before I put them in. I've always trusted the specialty fish store I bought them from, and as I said, it would be difficult to put up a decent quarantine tank given my resources and space right now, but I suppose that'd be a good idea in the future, huh? *grim smile*

Whitey (my afflicted goldfish) has always been the most jumpy, skittish, and panic-prone of all my goldfish, so it's normal for her to lose a scale here or there, but she seems to have lost a bunch all in one spot as of the last few days, that's why I mentioned it. The skin underneath is irritated and tender (couple flecks of pink or red), as can only be expected.

I'm not sure about my filter. I bought the tank at nnnnnn, so the brand name is Aqua Culture (I'm assuming the filter is the same brand, but it isn't clearly labeled if otherwise). I have no idea how many gallons/hour it cycles.

How much/many water changes would you recommend?

(thanks for the quick replies by the way)