What Has Steven Done

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

Okay, It would figure While I have one group of fish almost healed steven would go and do this, there is a split in his top lobe of the caudual fin, no more aquaruim salt, and one hospital tank which is currently filled with almost healed fish with ick, and I am out of money for the next three days. . . . doing a water change in the 29 gallon and setting up the secondary hospital tank. any suggestions on temporary solutions, and what medicine is best for the finrot, I am placing an order by credit card. . . .. grrr. . ..'

also there are redish marks around the ends of the fins, so I am assuming it is finrot and not just a injury, still should I remove my decorations that could cause more injury?

Edited by FinnyFinnedFriend

I used Melafix on my Moor for Finrot. Its rather inexpensive, though I don't remember the amount. No more the $10. Till you can get the medicin I would do just what your doing now, waterchanges. Keep the water the best you possibly can.

I hope everything go's ok.

Kellie

• Supporter

You can use rock salt/ice cream salt instead of aquarium salt (just make sure the only ingredient is SALT) that you can buy at the grovery store, you can buy a pretty large bag for like $2, if that helps.

Good luck with your fish, sorry I have no other advice!

You could try removing or rearranging any obvious tank ornaments or decorations which could have caused an injury. I think the key to dealing with split fins and fin rot in the initial stages is just what you are doing, regular partial water changes to keep the water quality as good as it can be. You can try adding salt to 0.1% if you want, or if it's getting worse and you could add in the Melafix as well if you wanted to to promote healing. Personaly, I would just try to manage it in by water changes and maybe a little salt to begin with. The key is to prevent any secondary problems occuring while the split is healing. Keep an eye out for any other symptoms as you need to act on them quickly :)