Exciting Day?hermit Crabs Breeding!

jsrtist

Well I have had an unusually exciting day. It turns out that some of my land hermit crabs have in fact bred in captivity, something that I have never heard of happening before. It is very difficult for just the average person to breed them and they are all wild caught.

I have posted more details about this on Crab Street Journal if you'd care to look there too. But I will post some of the pics I took today. As you guys probably know my dream for a long time has been to be a marine biologist and conduct hermit crab research. So I have been carefully documenting what I do.

I was able to hatch the eggs in two different saltwater tanks and am currently feeding the larvae live marine phytoplankton. I have little handmade sponge filters on each tank. Some people have successfully hatched larvae in captivity but have never really been able to raise them to adulthood. They have a very long larval state, similar to other crustaceans.

Also, the crab who laid the eggs has been with me for over 2 1/2 years so it seems pretty likely that she did in fact breed in captivity, which is a first that I've heard of.

Here is a pic of some of the eggs:

eggs3.jpg

More eggs. Just like fish eggs, the fertilized ones have a black dot in them.

eggs2.jpg

More eggs. I photographed these and then put these in saltwater.

eggs1.jpg

I also have a video of the larvae swimming. Its terrible quality but keep your eye on the bottom left handd corner. These critters are almost microscopic and like brine shrimp, they respond to the light. Watch when I move the light down to the side and you should see them swimming.

th_megalopaeMOV.jpg

Wow, How exciting for you Jenny!! :) Congrat's...I hope it all goes well, and do share more pic's as they hatch/grow.... :) So it's okay to hold the egg's then I take it? They just look so delicate and fragile, That's why I am wondering.

This will be a very intresting thread, As well as educational.

Keep us updated.

That's so exciting!!! That must be such an honor!

Edit: I cannot find the great news on the website you mentioned. Can you give a link?

Edited by Kissy

Congrats on your wee babies.I really hope they make it to adulthood.Be interesting hearing all about their progress :yeah:

Oh Wow that is amazing! congrats! You must really be doing something right, apparently those hermies love their home. Keep the pics coming! :))

Here is the link to Crab Street Journal: http://www.crabstreetjournal.com/modules.p...iewtopic&t=5185

It gives all the updates throughout the day. I have sadly lost most of the larvae but still have hopes for the ones in the 5 gallon tank. I am in the process of uploading some pictures I took under the microscope, too.

Here are two pics from under the microscope, 100x. You can definitely see the eyes and what will become the legs. The little fuzzy appendages will later become their pincers.

larvae2.jpg

larvae1.jpg

They are so cute in a weird little way! At what age do they need shells? I hope you get some survivors, that would be amazing.

The site says you have to become a member in order to see that page. Would it be too much trouble to copy and paste over here? I don't mind becoming a member if it is.

Does it really? I didnt realize you need to be a member. I guess we are very secretive! :rolleyes:

I will copy paste all the info I put there. Sorry if there are duplicate things:

I saw the strangest thing last night. My large E, Big Calico, was attacking my large rug, Mossy. I ran across the room to see and Big Calico had Mossy pinned, but Mossy had a ton of thick, white foam coming out of his shell! I immediately misted them and the foam dissolved, and then had to break them apart. BC had a hard grip on him. Finally I separated them and no one was any worse for the wear.

This morning Mossy seems fine, just hanging out and climbing like usual. Does anyone have any idea what this white foam was? I wondered if it had something to do with shell water, and blowing bubbles in defense or something. In all my years of crab keeping I've never seen anything like it!

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:47 pm Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Report Post

This post is in regards to a brownish foam/bubbles:

[bubbles]

Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Hermit Crabs: 17

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:05 pm Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Report Post

Thanks but it definitely isn't that. I have had Mossy for over 2 1/2 years and all my tank conditions are right.

I forgot to mention too that Big Calico is actually a female, I recently found out. I am pretty sure Mossy is male so at first I thought it could be an aggressive breeding thing, but I'm really not sure.

I keep checking and Big Calico keeps going after Mossy. I am going to separate them soon if it continues.

BTW they get a huge variety of foods and fresh shell choices constantly, so I doubt it's shell aggression. But I really dont know and am open to suggestions! :smile:

karma 39 :: 1292 cash :: prize dollars ::

jsrtist

enthusiast

enthusiast

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:42 pm Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Report Post

Okay you guys, I've been keeping an eye on everything and I just about passed out from shock. The two crabs are FEMALES and have just laid eggs in my tank. Both are girls, both have been in captivitity for well over 2 years, and both have eggs all over them. I know the eggs are not from any other crabs as these two have both been sitting at the top of my tank.

I am uploading photos to Photobucket right now. Please respond as I have never heard of this happening!!

jsrtist

enthusiast

enthusiast

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:51 pm Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Report Post

Okay got some photos. These eggs are actually fertilized as I can see tiny black dots inside of them. I am rushing to get a small saltwater tank set up so I can attempt to save some of the babies. I know how difficult it is but I'd like to try.

My question is, these are two different species, so I dont know who the eggs are from and I am absolutely certain they are both females!

Troppo

Hermit Crabs: 13

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:28 pm Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Report Post

wow smilie could these really be hermie eggs? I wouldn't know,never having seen them before :smile: . If they are hermie eggs,would they need some sort of food to eat when they hatch(if they do)?

With bubbling,I've seen that before with my crabbies,only the clear bubbles,never brown bubbles.

It has always happened when there's been a fight between two crabs.

The crab that had been attacked will blow clear froth from its mouth but will settle down and stop blowing bubbles after being separated.

I have always been told at another site that bubbling is bad without anyone listening to the circumstances,but the crabs I have that have been bullied have always been fine afterwards,not a single death and the tat temps and rh are always kept within acceptable limits.

Edit: Looking at the photos a bit more,am wondering how the eggs ended up all over the gauge stuck to the tank side? Razz Crabbies throwing them all around the tat?(I wouldn't know,just joking :smile: )

karma 30 :: 636 cash :: prize dollars :: [ Donate Cash ]

jsrtist

enthusiast

enthusiast

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:35 pm Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Report Post

I am 100% positive that they are eggs?why? :smile: Because the ones I immediately tossed in the water pool (about 1/2 gallon SW pool) have hatched and are swimming.

I am feeding them live marine phytoplankton and hoping for the best. My salt pool is large so I am going to remove it to a separate tank and turn off the filter so as not to suck up the larvae.

The eggs that stayed out for about an hour have been placed in a separate saltwater aquarium but are not hatching. I think they have stayed out for too long.

I am trying to record all the temperatures, salinity, time of day and everything, just in case by some chance I am able to raise these to adulthood.

This is something I've dreamed of doing for many years and had hoped to do in the future when I had multiple large tanks set up. :smile: I am just thrilled though.

Troppo

Hermit Crabs: 13

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:27 pm Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Report Post

Cool :grin: I hope raising these lil hermie babies works out well for you.

Would love to see some pics of the babies,I'm as curious as to what they look like,never having seen them before :smile:

karma 30 :: 636 cash :: prize dollars :: [ Donate Cash ]

jsrtist

enthusiast

enthusiast

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:33 am Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Report Post

I am hoping some survive too though I know the chances are slim. I have set up sponge filters in the two tanks and am feeding them live phytoplankton. I am trying to get the tiny babies to show up on my camera but it is difficult as they are moving and near microscopic!! :smile:

Some of the eggs that were drier have also hatched now. I am going to move the whole saltwater pool into its own aquarium later so they won't be disturbed by the bigger crabs, who like to swim in it.

I will keep everyone updated!

Maisey

Forum Regular

Forum Regular

Hermit Crabs: 11

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:30 am Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Report Post

Wow..how cool is this! I'm excited to see more photos. Which species of crabs are the eggs from?

Maisey

Crab Crew:

Hoss (Ruggie)

Blink, Herbie, Arista, Ditto and Luna (PP's)

Amos, and Ciyanna (Strawberries)

Grover, Bliss, and Groovy (E's)

RIP Dozer the strawberry

karma 124 :: 342 cash :: prize dollars :: [ Donate Cash ]

jsrtist

enthusiast

enthusiast

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:59 am Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Report Post

I am almost positive they are from my rug as she was the one with the foam, and after she dropped her eggs up on the Repti hammock and digital gauge, she kind of stayed near them.

My friend and I were taking pics with two different digital cameras but can't really get any of the larvae to come out clearly. They are too tiny for my camera to capture.

I did take a short, terrible quality video, but you can actually see them swimming at the very end. Keep your eye on the bottom left hand corner, and when I move the light you should see them moving!

Maisey

Forum Regular

Forum Regular

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:03 am Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Report Post

You weren't kidding..it's tough to see them! I thought they couldn't reproduce in captivity... I'm so thrilled for you.

Maisey

Crab Crew:

Hoss (Ruggie)

RIP Dozer the strawberry

jsrtist

enthusiast

enthusiast

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:40 am Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Report Post

It is very rare to have them breed in captivity. Ive never heard of it being done successfully but Ive wanted to try for a long time now.

I will try and get a clearer video tomorrow. That one is awful! LOL I knew where they were and I could barely see them.

Hermateer

Supporter - financial supporter

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:53 pm Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Report Post

OH MY GOSH!!!!!! THAT is truely amazing!!!! I don't even know what to say. WOW!!

Yes, please do keep us updated! Maybe you should change the name of this post to something about eggs hatching.

Congrats!! >Clap<

karma 13 :: 389 cash :: prize dollars :: [ Donate Cash ]

land_hermie

Crabby Kid

Crabby Kid

Hermit Crabs: 9

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:35 pm Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Report Post

wow smilie Hope they make it. You'll need shells for them if they do. I thought it was impossible! WOW!

Hi, this is rocky1234nst. This site rocks!

karma 37 :: 56 cash :: prize dollars :: [ Donate Cash ]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ICQ Number

Maisey

Forum Regular

Forum Regular

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:37 pm Subject: Re: crab fight with foaming!?Reply with quote Report Post

I wonder how soon they will need shells? and where in the world do you find them THAT small?

Maisey

Crab Crew:

Hoss (Ruggie)

RIP Dozer the strawberry

jsrtist

enthusiast

enthusiast

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:59 pm Subject: Re: crab laid eggs, they hatched!Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Report Post

Well, the babies in the saltwater pool in the tank have all died. I stirred the water a bit and hundreds upon hundreds of dead little bodies floated up. Sad I am so upset over that.

I still have some in the 5 gallon so hopefully some of those will survive. It is so hard when you don't really have much to go by. I set them up separately in hopes that at least in one tank something would go right.

I am going to see if I can preserve the little larvae and maybe take them to a biologist at the university or something. Does anyone know how I could contact a crustacean biologist?

vckums

Site Manager

Site Manager

Hermit Crabs: 18

Sister Site Local Representative of CSJ Supporter - financial supporter

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:23 pm Subject: Re: crab laid eggs, they hatched!Reply with quote Report Post

Get ahold of Sue, Vanessa or Kerie.....

Vicki

The Addiction

karma 338 :: 7227 cash :: prize dollars :: [ Donate Cash ]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

nora

Forum Regular

Forum Regular

Supporter - financial supporter Adopter

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:35 pm Subject: Re: crab laid eggs, they hatched!Reply with quote Report Post

Wow,Speechless! Congrats, totally amazing. Thank you for the pictures. They are a treasure.

karma 70 :: 2632 cash :: prize dollars :: [ Donate Cash ]

jsrtist

enthusiast

enthusiast

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:12 am Subject: Re: crab laid eggs, they hatched!Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Report Post

I contacted Sue, Vicki. She is contacting some biologists she knows.

Unfortunately the only way I was able to get decent pictures of the zoea were of the dead ones. Sad

They are the tiny little white things that look like shrimp.

As far as shells I have sand rubble for my saltwater aquarium and the crab tank that contains tiny shells, as well as a multitude of tiny snails in my SW tank, too, so that wouldnt have been a problem.

jsrtist

enthusiast

enthusiast

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:42 am Subject: Re: crab laid eggs, they hatched!Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Report Post

Here are a couple pics I took under the microscope (100x) today of a dead zoea. It was so fascinating to see them like this!

fishdoc313

Hermit Crabs: 4

Adopter

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:56 am Subject: Re: crab laid eggs, they hatched!Reply with quote Report Post

Truely amazing! Congrats!

How big were the 2 females? How long have you had them?

karma 2 :: 87 cash :: prize dollars :: [ Donate Cash ]

land_hermie

Crabby Kid

Crabby Kid

Hermit Crabs: 9

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:59 am Subject: Re: crab laid eggs, they hatched!Reply with quote Report Post

Are any at all still alive?

Hi, this is rocky1234nst. This site rocks!

karma 37 :: 56 cash :: prize dollars :: [ Donate Cash ]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ICQ Number

Maisey

Forum Regular

Forum Regular

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:50 am Subject: Re: crab laid eggs, they hatched!Reply with quote Report Post

Thanks for the pictures..it's so amazing to see them.

Maisey

Crab Crew:

Hoss (Ruggie)

RIP Dozer the strawberry

Hermateer

Supporter - financial supporter

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:27 pm Subject: Re: crab laid eggs, they hatched!Reply with quote Report Post

Absolutely amazing! I am still in awe! LOVE the microscope pics!!

Thank You! for sharing!

Guest Newbi

That is the neatest thing!

I didn't know anything about Hermit Crabs until I took my daughter to the pet store to get some last summer. I went in thinking about the small container and two crabs I had gotten on a beach vacation many years earlier. By the time we left the shop, we had lots of supplies and I was getting a pretty good idea why my first crabs didn't live. Fortunately the pet store was quick to educate us on the care of hermit crabs and they seem to be doing quite well. I'm amazed that your crabs are breeding! You clearly know what you are doing! :goodjob Congratulations!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporter

Jen, that is SO COOL! I am so excited for you, I know you spoil those little crabs to death and now you are being rewarded! I hope at least a few of them make it, and I can't wait to hear updates. Good job crab mommy!

Unfortunately all the babies died on day 6. I was sad but have a lot of hope that I will have more babies again. The two crabs who were "fighting" before are doing that again, and I believe it is probably actually mating behavior. I am setting up a permanent "nursery" tank in case I find the eggs again, and I think this way I'll have a better chance of some survival.

I hope that they breed for you again and this time you have some survivors. That would be so cool!!!! I hope for the best for you and your little crabs. :)

:( Hey Jen,sorry to hear that the little ones didn't make it.You have to give yourself a pat on the back though-noone's ever gone that far when it comes to breding.Chances are they';; do it again for you and maybe you'll make "Crabbie History". :lol: Good Luck Hun!

Here are two pics from under the microscope, 100x. You can definitely see the eyes and what will become the legs. The little fuzzy appendages will later become their pincers.

larvae2.jpg

larvae1.jpg

Aw How cute! That's so exciting to hear that your crabs have bred in captivity!

Guest Chishower

Holy crap! You really do need to write up your finding and send them off to some sort of journal, this is a huge step in hermit crabs. Hopefully someday soon all crabbies will be captive bred and we wont have to put so much strain on live stock.

Now, I am suprised that they didnt try to lay the eggs in the salt water pool. You said the eggs were on the females, maybe they carry them for a bit and hatch them in the water?

It's a major thing for sure. Jenny... Like i said before I would like to have your autograph. And when you publish your first book about it... make sure you mention KOKO's in there somewhere. haha.

I'm sorry that your babies didn't make it. Perhaps your next try will work out and you seem to have a plan in place already. Make sure you let us all know when it happens again

• 8 months later...
Guest Irene

Hello, I recently started 2 miniture hermit crab farms (approx. few hundred crabs each). I know usually they don't breed in captivity but yesterday and this morning, i found thousands of wiggly orangey "creatures "swimming in the sea water pools in both farms. I clean and replenish the pools and the area everyday so I really have no clue what these "creatures" are. I took a video clip of them and hope that you can advise me what they are. (Please also advise how i can dwnload to show you)

Hi Irene and welcome to the board.This thread is almost a year old,so we would love you to start a new thread about your Hermit Crabs.Although a few of us keep them,it's not near the numbers that you have,so I'm awful excited to see your Crabitats and all your crabs-especially the orange squiggly things.Want to find out what they are for sure

Alot of us belong to Photobucket.com for downloading videos and pics.It's a free site for all.The pics are easy to download,so hopefully you won't have a problem doing a video.Looking forward to seeing your thread. :exactly

Guest Irene

Hi you teach me how to download the photos and videos directly from here? I've got many photos and 1 video of the farm. I'm not really good with computer network so will appreciate if you can help me through the steps. Many Thanx.

Hi you teach me how to download the photos and videos directly from here? I've got many photos and 1 video of the farm. I'm not really good with computer network so will appreciate if you can help me through the steps. Many Thanx.