Sign in to follow this  
ellnbea

When Do I Stop The Brine Shrimp Factory?

hi

when is it ok to stop feeding brine shrimp, babies are over two weeks old. I am also feeding some liquidfry no. 1 and I got tetra powdered baby fish food for them. should I keep the shrimp going for annother week or two???

Oh, yeah, I would definetely do that for at least another 2 weeks or so. High protein food is so important for them at this stage, but if you get tired of the "factory", have you tried freshly hatched brine shrimp frozen, in the pet store? Although my fry aren't dumb, they already have a taste bud, and once mine are raised on live food, it takes them forever to appreciate the frozen kind.

You can experiment some - try frozen daphnia every now and then. They are a little bigger than the freshly hatched brine, and mine were able to eat those with about 3 weeks of age. Maybe some of your fry are ready for them as well. :)

I have never seen frozen live foods here(ireland) but I have seen the dried daphnia. Ill get some and soak it and crush it up small, see if they go for that. thanks :)

Well, different countries - different supplies. Let us know how they take to the dried daphnia. :)

found some!! :) went to an aquatics shop today and they had it (the frozen brine shrimp) expensive though! still thats great Just gave them one cube earlier and will look at them later to see if they go for it. I hope they get used to it might be strange for them not having their food moving around. Oh and the guy at the shop said beef heart is a great source of protein for fry!you blend it up.messy though I bet ;)

Hm, beefheart? I have seen it around in stores, but never tried that one. Is it small as well?

nope he meant an actual cows heart from the butchers shop! :) dont think ill be trying that one high protein or not :):lol:

btw the frozen brine shrimp is brilliant you just pop a cube in and it dissolves ....=happy fry.

An actual cow's heart?? :thud What does he think you are raising - sharks? :lol: I did see beefheart in the pet stores, in cubes, but I never bothered trying it out.