Please Help!

Guest sarah kelly

Guest sarah kelly

my fancy goldfish seems to have a split in his tail fin. its only on one side and has a red streak running up from the split. his top fin is also all scrunched down. i cant get a picture of him on here, i dont have a camera but none of my other fish are effected. i also have a black moor 2 comets and 2 shubunkins in with him. i have been treating the water with melafix. he is still swimming around but sometimes hides down under the rocks. when i feed them however he will come out and eat just like the rest of them. i was wondering if perhaps he has just hurt himself or if i should be trying a different method of treatment.

the water quality is good, i am a stickler for water quality and put charcoal balls in the water to control ammonia and do a 1/3 water change weekly. nitrite-0, nitrate-0, ph 7.2 (i also add carbonate hardness generator to the water to stop my ph from rising or falling too quickly and check the ph every day) i havent added any new fish and they have been in the same tank since october last year.

if you guys need any more info let me know ok but i think i have covered every thing if you can offer any suggestions my fancy and i would be extremely garaeful!

Guest sarah kelly

4 foot tank

ammonia is 0

i havent noticed any agressiveness from any of the other fish. they are all still kinda small about two inches in length not including their fins. i went to the pet shop and they suggested a fungus treatment so i got him out of the tank in my hand, applied the treatment and am going to do it again in 3 days. thay told me to continue with the melafix. does this sound about right? thanks for replying!

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

yeah, if it is finrot, follow the medication instructions though, and if it doesnt clear up you may have a problem, can you quarenteen the fish?

Im no expert but I do know that Quarenteening him will help ensure that your other fish dont become infected