Sign in to follow this  
Guest ma_ac13

What Would This Be Like?

Guest ma_ac13

Hi ive always wanted to know what the following pairs would turn out like, anyone got pics?

Lionhead & Moor

Lionhead & Oranda

Lionhead & Ryukin

Lionhead & Koi

I wonder if these would look good

The fry from the pairings u posted above would be a bunch of mutts and inbetweens. Some will definitely follow the mom/dad's form, but I think the majority will be mix of varying degrees between the two parents.

Lionhead and Moor:

Eye configurations are controlled by a pair of alleles - fairly simple dominant and recessive. Protruding eyes are recessive. A purebred Moor carries 2 rescessive genes for telescope eyes, so can only pass on the telescope eye allele. (there are modifiers - effecting the size of the eyes, but in general, a moor can only pass on a recessive gene for the eyes)

A pruebred Lionhead that did not carry the telescope gene, (Two dominant alleles for regular eyes), when crossed with a Moor would have all regular eyed offspring. (once again, the modifiers can play games).

A Lionhead carrying a recessive allele for telescope eyes ( present, but not expressed) would, by statistics, create 1/4 babies that had the telescope eyes.

Headgrowth is more complicated, involving some dedicated alleles that are affected and attached to various other attributes. By and large, you would see at least some sort of rudimentary wen on approximately 1/2 the offspring. The wen could vary a great deal - from barely there to a full head.

The dorsal fin - or lack of one, actually - is a mostly recessive trait. In general, babies bred from one parent with a dorsal fin and one without, you will get babies with some sort of dorsal fin. THe fin may be partial, rudimentary or even simply expressed by a bumpy back -an uneven kinked look.

In the book Goldfish in HongKong, by Man Shek-hay there is a picture of a dragon-eyed Lionhead fish on page 81. Unfortunately, my scanner is not working or I would post it up. ON page 62- 63, there are some tlescope eyed oranda type fish

Ha ha I guess it's worth to study fish genetics after all :o

I loooove genetics! :heart:heart

I haaaate genetics (nearly failed in a biology unit on DNA and genetics) but I guess it helps to have some understanding of it if u wanna breed goldfish :D

Guest ma_ac13

anyone got photos of Lionheads/ranchus crossed with ryukins/pearscales/koi/orandas etc?

There are a few, very ugly, pictures around from a cross between a koi and a comet. Not something you'd want to breed together.

Most of those crosses look somewhat strange, and a lot of them are just having deformed things, like half grown dorsal fins and such. One, very nice to me anyway, cross I have seen is between a ranchu and an oranda. It has the chubby body of a ranchu, with a dorsal fin. It doesn't quite look exactly like an oranda - the body shape looks different.