Sign in to follow this  
IvanLim

May Be Eggs Pls Help To Identify

Hi guys,

First time seen these kind of things in my main tank have taken few shot and post in the wrong section can you all help me to identify.. PLs

Link

according to some of the guys written is eggs may be?? i dont know..

What should i do if it is eggs??

:) Those really look like eggs to me. I had to come on here and ask the same question last year when one of my goldfish started to spawn and I was not familiar with what I was looking at. :exactly

IvanLim, how do the eggs look now? Did you put them someplace else, out of the main tank, or did you move the parents? If you leave them in with the adult fish, not many eggs will make it into anything, because the parents are gonna eat whatever they can find. :)

Ranchugirl, I move them to a small tank before that is a jar.

but faces some question abt fry.

i manage to see few fry swim around. but after a while i find it landed on the base of the tank.

Is it dead?

If the fry not swimming around is it dead?? Can anyone help me identify.

Is the survior one keep swimming non-stop??

After it become fry first day, should i feed them with hardboiled yolk?

pls help

anything i need to take note??

Edited by IvanLim

Don't worry, IvanLim - fry at first do not swim around all that much. They don't have the need for food in the first 2-3 days, since they have still their egg sac attached to them, from which they feed until it is all eaten up. During this time you don't need ot feed, because it just will spoil the water. If you look at them really close with a magnifying glass, you'll see a little clearish/yellow bubble attached to them.

And yes, they do just hang around still for hours and hours to come during that period. Once they are completely free swimming with just a few resting periods, then it is time to feed. And even though you might see one or two swim around already, they are just early bloomers, and the rest of them will follow soon. You do have some sort of oxygen in the tank, right? Airstone? Bubble wall or some kind?

Don't worry, IvanLim - fry at first do not swim around all that much. They don't have the need for food in the first 2-3 days, since they have still their egg sac attached to them, from which they feed until it is all eaten up. During this time you don't need ot feed, because it just will spoil the water. If you look at them really close with a magnifying glass, you'll see a little clearish/yellow bubble attached to them.

And yes, they do just hang around still for hours and hours to come during that period. Once they are completely free swimming with just a few resting periods, then it is time to feed. And even though you might see one or two swim around already, they are just early bloomers, and the rest of them will follow soon. You do have some sort of oxygen in the tank, right? Airstone? Bubble wall or some kind?

thx so much..

days have pass now i can see soem fry growing quit big, so happy abt it. put what worry me is the water quality for this 1 feet fish tank. i just fill up abt 2.5 / 4 of the tank with water during the start.

So when should i have some partial water change?

At this stage a water change is quite difficult. Not only because the fry are pretty sensitive to any change in water, like temperature or ph, but it is also hard to do a waterchange without sucking some of the fry up as well. If you can get your hands on a simple sponge filter right now, that is perfect for them. Its a very gentle filter - well, not really a filter in the common sense, but a piece of sponge that mostly houses beneficial bacteria, and is a biological "filter" mostly. Here is a sample of one... :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hydro-Sponge-IV-Aquari...1QQcmdZViewItem Most pet stores have one or another version of a sponge filter, some look like triangles, some like clover leaves. All have the same purpose though, and are driven by an airpump.

As for a waterchange, what I do with fry that young, I have a couple of buckets out with new dechlorinated water, have them sit overnight next to the tank, so they have the same temperature. Then you'll need an empty white bucket, and a piece of airline tubing. You have the empty bucket somewhere next and lower to the fry tank, and use the airline tubing as vaccuum. It goes very slow that way, but you have less of a chance for any fry to be sucked in. Just watch the end of the airline tubing that is in the fry tank very closely for fry getting too near the tubing. You can easily vaccuum off any uneaten food from the tank bottom that way as well, but always watch for fry - they like to hang out on the bottom, near the food, always looking for something edible.

When you are all done, check the bucket one more time if a fry accidentally didn't get in before you discard that water.

Then I sit one of the buckets with the new water on top of the fry tank, and use the same airline tubing to let the freshwater run into the fry tank. Again, the new water enters in slow motion, which is great, that way the fry don't get stressed. :)

At this stage a water change is quite difficult. Not only because the fry are pretty sensitive to any change in water, like temperature or ph, but it is also hard to do a waterchange without sucking some of the fry up as well. If you can get your hands on a simple sponge filter right now, that is perfect for them. Its a very gentle filter - well, not really a filter in the common sense, but a piece of sponge that mostly houses beneficial bacteria, and is a biological "filter" mostly. Here is a sample of one... :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hydro-Sponge-IV-Aquari...1QQcmdZViewItem Most pet stores have one or another version of a sponge filter, some look like triangles, some like clover leaves. All have the same purpose though, and are driven by an airpump.

As for a waterchange, what I do with fry that young, I have a couple of buckets out with new dechlorinated water, have them sit overnight next to the tank, so they have the same temperature. Then you'll need an empty white bucket, and a piece of airline tubing. You have the empty bucket somewhere next and lower to the fry tank, and use the airline tubing as vaccuum. It goes very slow that way, but you have less of a chance for any fry to be sucked in. Just watch the end of the airline tubing that is in the fry tank very closely for fry getting too near the tubing. You can easily vaccuum off any uneaten food from the tank bottom that way as well, but always watch for fry - they like to hang out on the bottom, near the food, always looking for something edible.

When you are all done, check the bucket one more time if a fry accidentally didn't get in before you discard that water.

Then I sit one of the buckets with the new water on top of the fry tank, and use the same airline tubing to let the freshwater run into the fry tank. Again, the new water enters in slow motion, which is great, that way the fry don't get stressed. :)

thx so much.

will do a check abt the PH value in 1 week period. see wheather will i drops its ph value.

What do u think abt the water quality? will the fry dirty the water as much as 1-2 inch goldfish?

Well, yeah, they actually might. But not because of their size - they are too small to dirty water up all that much. But because of the fact that you should be feeding them 4-6 times a day, and THAT is what will dirty the water like they were bigger fish. They need more food at that stage than an adult fish would need. :)

How are the fry doing, IvanLim? :unsure: