Goldfish Fry

Guest The crazy fish lady

Guest The crazy fish lady

My goldfish fry (all 46 of them) are about 3 days old (or their 4th day of life) now, and I've introduced the Hikari First Bites. However, I can't tell if they're eating or not. Most of the fry still have yolk sacks, but some of them seem to have absorbed all of theirs. Is there any way I can tell if they're eating the powder?

Well, if you look really closely, you can see a full belly. Since fry are pretty much "see through", you can see things like their swim bladder, and intestines. They don't really have a stomach in the normal sense, but I do notice in my fry a bulging where they have their food before it enters the intestines. Or rather that bulging part is part of the intestines.

Since I feed mine brine shrimp babies, I can see some nice pink fat bellies about 30 minutes afterwards.

If you have a magnifying glass, I would try to see whats "inside" of them.

Of course, if you don't feed too much and keep control of what you feed, you might be able by telling on how much food is left on the tank floor. :)