Emergency

Blue

Help.Meds were accidently put in that shouldn't be added to marine aquarium.Done a water change mixed salt in water prior to it going in tank water conditioner added.Fish still sitting on bottom.What do I do ?

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

Do you have a hospital tank you can put them in? depending on what kind of meds you may have to do several full water changes, what kind of medications?

this is one and only marine tank others are cold and tropical.Already done a 90% water change.Med was a white spote one.

Edited by Blue

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

Uh oh, If it was an ick treatment with copper or malicite green, its going to take progressive waterchanges to get it out, in the meantime, your fish will need some place to go, some treatments especialy for ick can get into the seals and substraite and cause problems, is there a tank you can temporaraly convert? you may have to teardown the marine tank and scrubb it out good. progressive dilouting out of the meds should get it out though. . sorry about your fish, were you treating them for whitespot and realized it was the wrong med or did someone knock over a med bottle?

Edited by FinnyFinnedFriend

I have a large bucket I can use And transfer the heater to it but am out of marine salt what do I do.Someone accidently put some in as fish are healthy or they were till now.

Edited by Blue

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

Do you have enough salt for the bucket? the diluting can probably be done with fresh water and how much would you say was put in?

Edited by FinnyFinnedFriend

Barely any its a 3g bucket iv'e put what little salt I had in it.only one fish is on its side in the bucket.

I didn't even have half a cup .I have ordinary aquarium salt but thats no good is it

All fish on side now Please how can I make up for lack of marine salt I desperatly want to save these fish.

How do you have a marine tank but no marine salt!? I dont understand. You will not be able to save them using ordinary aquarium salt.

I dont know what to say, really. There are many types of saltwater fish that cannot tolerate ich medications.

Do you have a refractometer or anything to measure the amount of salt with? You cant mix the salt and water with the fish in the same bucket. Maybe Im misunderstanding here but it sounds like you kind of just went and got fish without being too prepared. Thats what we were trying to prevent here, having you read up and research what you were doing before you actually went out and did it.

What kind of fish did you get? Was the tank completely set up and stabilized before you got them?

I ran out of ocean salt I virtually used last of it when I did 90% water change.Only to find in a later post it was urgent I got them out of their tank.I had 4 Blue Damsels.1 has now died.The other 3 still move every now and again but no very often.

Tank was set up and stabilised it had been left for 6 weeks prior to fish going in.I think I'm going to lose them all at this rate.

Edited by Blue

I would say at this point, it would be probably safer for the fish to transfer them back to the tank with the meds. Damsels are pretty hardy and could probably handle that better than improper or low salinity.

I'd say keep them in there for the time being till you can get some more salt and do a water change.

Do you have live rock in your tank? Did the meds have copper or is it malachite green? If it is copper, it will bond to coral sand and live rock and be basically impossible to remove. If it is in fact copper you will want to get a product called Cupramine (dont know if they have it over there) and that will absorb the copper.

If there is no copper you should just be fine with more water changes. And be carefuly about who you let near your tank from now on!! :o Good luck with the surviving fish.

Malachite green.There was and still is a carbon Zeolite filter in the tank.There is no live rock or sand just smooth pebble type gravel.I did post pics in marine section earlier today of them in the tank.

Okay, just saw your pics! Yes, you should be fine with just doing that. And when you can get more salt just do more water changes. The damsels should be okay. I've seen them survive just about the worst water ever!

Update on the Damsels.Unfortunately by 4.30am (UK time) all of them had passed away. :cry1

Now its back to square one again with setting up tank etc.

Sand wasn't used because it was a temporary tank till a bigger one is purchased.The salinity of the tank prior to the accident was perfect.The fish were happy,active and showing no signs off distress.

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

I am soo sorry about your fish dying, if your planning on trying again with the marine tank, its best to rinse everything out completely, Im sorry, the best thing to do to prevent future incedents though is to get a small lock box to keep all your tank meds and everything in. I did it with my meds because I have sulfiric acid to treat an alkiline ph and lots of younger kids around the house. If you have the lock box its also good to keep other people from treating the tanks with something they shouldnt. again I am so sorry about your poor fish. :cry1 But one must try and look at the positives, you can set up the tank again and even better than before, I know its not much consilation, but atleast its something.

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

Blue I cant help but feel a little responsible, I didnt explain myself very well, and I feel like my inability to do that aided in your fishes demise. . . . I had to get off the computer early. . . I am sorry I know It probably isnt worth much. . . But I am sorry, If there is anything at all I can do let me know.

Blue I cant help but feel a little responsible, I didnt explain myself very well, and I feel like my inability to do that aided in your fishes demise. . . . I had to get off the computer early. . . I am sorry I know It probably isnt worth much. . . But I am sorry, If there is anything at all I can do let me know.

Its ok I feel really bad too I should never have left the box of fish meds where they could be accessed easily.In process of starting up marine tank again and the meds are well out of the way now.

Another Quartet.In process of starting up tank again.Spent ?50 on stuff today for the tank.Most expensive being my saltwater master testing kit.Followed by my hydrometer.Plus more ocean salt an all.Not leaving anything to chance this time.Testing kit been put well out of the way to.