Loads Of Fry And Possibly More

Guest tania123

Guest tania123

Can anyone help i have a few dilemas?

i have 9 week old frys who are doing well i started off with around 500 and am now down to around 230 (at some point i counted them :) and im guessing i lost that amount due to a few reasons such as too high temperature which ive now solved and i guess just survival of the fittest :( ).

i moved them from a smallish tank into a large 126 litre tank 2 weeks ago that seemed to help them grow further. As this is my first experience at having fry im assuming i did the right thing in moving them. <_< i have a fluval 3 filter that i put on a few hrs a day as leaving it on all day i realised killed a few of the fry as they got sucked to the side of the filter. Is it actually ok to have a filter on though as sometimes they look like they're in a whirl pool?

My main issue though is about 2 weeks after the 1st batch hatched the mother seemed to look a bit fatter so is there a possibility that she could have more, if so when would she be likely to have them as shes been holding them for 7 weeks and im a little concerned as im not sure what length of time is safe for her to be carrying them, also what if she doesnt end up laying.

any help would be greatfully received as this is all completely new to me and a great shock after the eggs were laid. Any further recommendations on how to care for the frys post 10 weeks also helpful.

Hi tania - sorry it's taken so long to respond.

I wouldn't run the fluval at all but would try and get a sponge filter until they're big enough to handle the intake and agitation of water. I used a small aquaclear filter and hollowed out some sponge to cover the intake. It stopped them getting sucked in :o

I made sure to use cycled media and had to keep swapping media with another tank because when they're that small, they don't seem to produce a lot of ammonia so my good bacteria kept dying.

As for the mother, does she still appear swollen? What is the temp of her tank?

Guest tania123

As for the mother, does she still appear swollen? What is the temp of her tank?

hi thanks for the reply i will follow your information and as for the mum she laid her eggs last friday so i am a surrogate mum again. As we seem to have had another load whats the chances of her having more and is there anyting we can do to stop her from having more. Dont get me wrong i love having the little frys but now we seem to be over run with them and what with 4 dogs and a budgi my house is getting very full. lol :krazy:

last time i had the frys though i heard/ read so many different ways to care for them i got so confused. Can anyone write me a general guide as to what to do such as change of water as when the water gets really bad im not sure what to do and water temperature etc. Ive fed the others on liquifry which seems to have been ok so im sticking to that but the whole water issue im still debating on.