What Do You Get When You Cross A Goldfish And A Carp?

sandtiger

This guy, awsome looking fish. Would love to have him in a tank. :heart

CommonCarp_GoldfishHybridMeltonHillNegus_jpg.jpg

CommonCarp_GoldfishHybridHeadMeltonHillNegus_jpg.jpg

I have seen them in person before but only dead preserved specimens. The ones I looked at were interesting, one of them had a barbel on one side of the face (like a carp) and none on the other (like a goldfish).

The pictures come from here

http://www.tnfish.org/Photogallery/FishGal...ishGallery1.htm

Take a look at the site, there are lots of great pictures of native fish and a few invasive as well.

yep we have caught heaps, in the years. whole gold, and gold and white and some more yellow looking. lovely colours, these were caught in our local river, about 2 kg they were. i wish we had a pic to show.

Whoa, sweet! Makes sense that they would cross, since goldfish are descended from a carp. Man, seeing all those fish makes me want to go fishing! There were some awesome fish on that sight!

I checked out that link and wow there are some strange fish in this world. I did a report on lamprey a couple years ago and I found them fascinating. I've never heard of a molted sculpin but it is a very interesting-looking fish.

Glad to see you guys enjoying the pictures, we have some truely awsome native fish.

Kissy, I actually had a mottled sculpin but she dies because of the overly warm temps. They prefer really cool water. Now whenever I see them in the wild I just let them go. Someday I'll setup a tank in my basement or something and try again.

Archived