Snail Delimma

Ginevive

I had (with emphasis on "had") a cool albino snail in my 55g GF tank. Now, I know that it is healthy to add salt to your GF tank, so I did. I never read on the back of the salt container, that it kills snails. Found my poor snail dead a few days ago, and now I know why.

So, how do you have snails in GF tanks, if they need salt? Darn, I hate making stupid mistakes. My other snails in the OPscar tank (which never sees salt) are doing fine.

:cry1

If you need to treat with salt, either remove the fish needing tretment and treat in a quarantine tank, or remove the snail while treating the tank with the salt. I should imagine a snail would do fine in a bowl or jar for a few days as long as it was fed and you did little water changes.

strangely enough, I've had a couple snails that do okay with salt in the water. They were offspring from my original snail. Most of them died, mind you, but one or two survived. Evolution at work. XD

Those are lucky snails then.. salt makes snails disolve. I used to know why, but I've forgotten. It kills garden slugs too if you have a strawberry bed that gets infested :)

Sorry you lost your snail. I love the albino ones! Salt does kill them but they can tolerate low levels of it in the water. We took some freshwater snails and put them in our brackish tanks at work for the puffers to eat. Now theres a whole colony of snails living in there. We also salt our goldfish section and there are a bunch of big apple snails living in there too. Did you dissolve the salt before putting it in the water? I think if you do a little at a time they'll be okay. Just to be safe, though, I have my snail in a betta tank now which I never salt. Also any medicines (other than Melafix) can be deadly to snails, too.

• 2 weeks later...

"We took some freshwater snails and put them in our brackish tanks at work for the puffers to eat. Now theres a whole colony of snails living in there"

my gawd! that brackish water must be no more than like .2% salt! I know snails have pratically 0 tolerance to salt. Goldfish can handle up to like .3% I heard many minnows can take much more, like 1.5% and the black ones can even live in marine water XD

Archived