Black Moor

Guest Bekki

Guest Bekki

I'm not sure if I have a problem yet or not...I had bought one of those feeding rings to place at the top of the tank and keep food in one area. It was working great until my black moor decided he liked it to. He got excited and went to the food and bumped into the side with his eye. I actually saw it happen. I see on his eye a small white line, it is very small and faint but I know it is there because I'm looking to make sure he is o.k. What should I do, anything? Or just keep watching? Oh yeah, yes I took the feeding ring out.

While I'm here I'll ask another question. I have an oranda who will turn at an angle when he is swimming. Kinda like he's banking a corner. I'm half wondering if it is the beginning stages of scratching but he isn't hitting anything. He is eating and fins look fine, seems perfectly healthy. I got him a week ago and he has always done it. Could he have something internally going on? I look really close and I just don't see anything externally. I worry because my tank is cycling and from what I have read on the posts something could surface during this stressful phase. Thanks for any help!!

One last question...how many hours a day do fish sleep?

Guest Bekki

Upon further and more extensive observation of my black moor I am thinking his eye looks cloudy, still faint but I'm seeing more than just the little white line. If in the morning I'm still leaning this direction what should I do??

First off with your black moor, I would just keep an eye on him for now, if anything more serious develops, like a fungus around the abbrasion or something similar then let us know.

About your other fish though we will need you to answer as many of the questions that you can at the top of the page. The test results are especially important, if you don't have them now you can take a little bit of your water to a LFS and they will probably do the testing for you for free. I would call them first though. If your moor has a cut on his eye you will need to keep your water perfect so as to ward off infection.

And :welcome !!!

Guest Bekki

Thanks for a quick response. If my tank is cycling is it possible to keep perfect water? My reading tonight had ammonia and nitrites at .50. I had thought about a water change but noticed on the nitrogen cycle page it says to change the water when it hits 2.0. I've just been doing some more research, could possibly the black moor be more sensitive to the cycling and his eye is showing this? I wonder if possibly it was coincidence he bumped the feeder and I see the white and the two have nothing to do with each other. I can definitely do water changes as often as advised. I am one of those people who love detailed instruction!

I personally think that the Moor may be showning signs of Cloudy eye because of the tank params.Ammonia will do that and some fish are more vulnerable to it.

To tell you the truth,I have never ever let my tank get at 2.0 before I changed the water.To me,that's pushing it a bit much.I know you need these #'s to go through the cycling stages,but I do the water changes to bring it down a lot lower than that.It may take longer for my tank to cycle,but at least I feel that my fish are a little safer with the lower readings. :)