Dropsy And Leaving For Vacation Soon!

Dory

I posted about this before, but I hadn't tested the water yet, so here are the params first.

PH 8.0,

KH 250ish,

GH 300,

NitrIte 0

NitrAte 5-10

Ammonia 0

I have two fish in the tank( which is 55 gallons), I usually do about 50% water changes once a week, and I always use water conditioner. My big fish, Dusty, has been showing signs of internal parasites for a while. She's been looking skinnier and at first was having long stringy poos but isn't anymore. She has not been her usual peppy self, she is being quite lethargic and she actually got stuck on the filter intake tube. Luckily she was only stuck for a few minutes so she suffered no damage but it worries me that she actually felt weak enough to get stuck. Two days ago she really got me worried because I noticed her scales were sticking up just a little. Just a little, though, barely even noticable. But then I saw that skinnier parts of her seemed to be bigger, so there was definitely some swelling going on. But then today it was even worse, she is definitely getting dropsy! My other fish, Sunflash, also has a bit of fungus on her tail. I currently have the tank salted to a .3% solution and have in Epsom salt too. I have tried feeding medigold for a while, but it didn't do any good. I think it is expired but I figured it couldn't hurt to just try. I've had it for about a year. I've also tried parasite clear by jungle, but I didn't use as many doses as the label said I could have so maybe I will try that again. But I am leaving on vacation for a week starting Monday, so I hope she can reach a stable point by then! What can I do for her while I'm away? Any advice would be helpful! Sorry for the long post! Thanks!

Do you have someone you can trust to medicate the tank in your absence?

I think that medicated food such as medigold is your best bet for dropsy, it is possible that your batch had expired, I've heard that it is only good for 6mths once it's been opened.

Since it's unlikey that you can get more medigold before you go away all you can do is use an antibacterial water treatment such as marcyn. I'm not sure if salt and epsom go together, perhaps someone else can clarify that issue.

I was pretty sure they can go together, as epsom salt is not actually salt it is magnesium sulfate. Though if I am wrong I hope someone more experienced will let me know. I do have marcyn plus, so I'll start using that right away. Should I start feeding the expired medigold again in hopes that it might do at least a little bit of good? She hasn't been interested in food that much lately so it is hard to get enough down her.

I could try asking a friend to come over evey couple days to check on them , feed them, and perhaps even medicate the tank, but I'm not sure if they will or not. I certainly couldn't ask them to do any water changes though. I'll call and see what they say.

I just put in the maracyn, but I didn't take the carbon out of the filter as it said on the pakage to maitain normal filtration. Did they mean carbon too? Also it's about time for the weekly waterchange, so do I just skip the waterchange for now because of the meds, or do I do the waterchange and just replace the same % of meds as to how much water I change?

Sorry for the extra posts, I could not find the edit button!

I decided to err on the side of caution, so I did the waterchange and am just going to replace the missing % of meds. Also, I called my friend but she said she couldn't watch my fish because she will be out of town too. And everyone else I know is going on vacation this week, so there is nobody who could medicate the tank in my absence. Should I just add all the doses before I leave or just skip the last one that should be on tuesday when I am gone?

Firstly, no to salt and epsom together - use one or the other :)

I wouldn't risk feeding medicated food if it's out of date - there's a chance it could do more damage than good.

I honestly think the only successful treatment for dropsy is running maracyn I and II, plus 1/8 teaspoon of epsom salt per 5 gallons, take the temp up to around 82 degrees and try feeding medicated food. I believe Andrea (Ranchugirl) has had great success with Metromeds for dropsy - her fish improved at a better rate.

I don't know what to suggest if you're unable to be there to monitor progress - I really wish there was but unfortunately it's a nasty illness that needs perfect water (the maracyn can play havoc with your good bacteria) so water would need to be monitored daily, plus feeding medicated food twice daily and making sure to administer the meds when needed - all things that are key to successful treatment.

Also, if you still have carbon in your filter, I would remove or it will remove the meds from the water.

I wish there was more that could be suggested but unfortunately I'm at a loss.... Do you have any family members who can help you out?

Nope, my whole family is going on this trip with me. I already have the epsom salt and aquarium salt both in, so what should I do about that? It doesn't actually seem to be harming anything, in fact she is doing rather well today. She has been swiming about more instead of just sitting in one place like she was doing for a while, and she is eating alot better too. Also, since on the first dose of maracyn I still had the carbon in, should I re-dose it and just start all over again? Thanks for the advice!

You could do a 50% waterchange to remove 50% of the epsom salt and redose with maracyn. The first dose wouldn't have had much effect with the carbon in. Who knows? With a second dose, Dusty may do a bit better - I certainly hope so :)

50% water change, redose maracyn plus and add 50% more epsom salt but not regular aquarium salt, have I got that right? Only one thing, Dusty was supposed to get the second dose tomorow so do I add double the amount or the same? Will it hurt her to get too much all at once?

I would go with everything up to the point where you add the second dose. This is why it's such a hard situation to advise on...The major concern about medicating and then leaving the tank is your cycle may crash and then you will have even more problems in terms of water quality - and this would just make things worse.

So I would be inclined to do a massive waterchange before you go so that the water is the best possible quality it can be - especially if you're going to be away for a week.... and then hope for the best.

How will your fish be fed while you're away?

I'm just going to give them a 10 day feeder. I know the food may not be the best quality, but it's better than nothing.

• Supporter

I am not an expert, but those feeder things are the probably the worst possible thing you can do, especially with a sick fish and potential water quality issues. I have seen so many people on here come back from vacation to find very sick or dead fish, who were healthy when they left, because of a feeder block.

How long are you gone? If it is 7 days or less you may be better off not feeding them at all during the time than using a feeder block. If you could have a friend come once or twice and feed that would be great, but set the exact amount of food out in a little packet and hide the rest of the food so they are not tempted to overfeed, hungry goldfish are very persuasive!

I am pretty sure goldfish can live for a week without food-but hopefully someone else with more knowledge than I will weigh in on this though...

:unsure: I definately agree with NOT using the feeder block.From every story I've heard,it has caused more harm than good for sure. Fish can go longer than you think without food.

Dropsy is a symptom.As you haven't figured out why this fish has it of yet,I wouldn't take any chances of adding any more fuel to the fire,if you know what I mean.

A big water change needs done for sure to get some of those salts out of there.You cannot go and add extra doses of Meds either,because that would definately be over medicating for sure and that's not good. :unsure:

All I can do is tell you to do the next dose,and if you've allready left on vacation to hope for the best. This is a situation that really needs to be monitered closely for water quality and the correct dosing of Meds need to be completed. I sure hope that your fish can hang in there.

I too hope your fish can hang in there. There's a couple of things working against you sadly so it will be a wait and see.

Hopefully you removed the 10 day feeder before you left because he would definitely be better off a bit hungry or perhaps with some edible plants. If ever in doubt just include some plants that fish enjoy snacking on because they don't mess with your water and still help to keep nitrates down.

My fingers are crossed that all will be well on your return.

Let us know how things are doing. I am going to move your thread, if upon your return things are an emergency we can move it back.

Archived