New Strawberry Hermit Crab

A few weeks ago a good friend had to move so he gave me his remaining strawberry land hermit crabs. The largest I gave away to someone with a 120 gallon tank and I kept a large and small one. This is a picture of the big guy, Big Straw, hanging out on top of some coral in my tank. Strawberries are one of the most delicate land hermit crabs, as they are more beach-dwellers than the others. Therefore they need higher humidity and a deep saltwater pool. I recently renovated my 60 gallon to include about a gallon filtered saltwater pool, as well as a smaller freshwater pool. Enjoy!

bigstrawsm.jpg

And here are a couple pics of the saltwater pool. I just have a little Whisper filter on it, and a plastic screen that allows the smaller crabs to easily climb out. There is a lot of debate over bathing hermit crabs, and I am very much against it. They know full well when they need a bath or a swim and its much healthier to allow them to do it themselves. I have seen just about every single one of my crabs swimming in here!

SWpool.jpg

2pools.jpg

:) Very cute guy Jen.I've always wanted one but could never find one local,so I never bothered.I'd love to see pics of your set-up. :D

:blink: If I had only waited a second longer! :rofl Very nice!!! :lol:

Thanks everyone! Hermits dont bite but they do pinch with their claws! Obviously the bigger they are, the more painful it is! If you hold them properly they shouldnt pinch at all. The proper way to handle them is with your palm flat. If your hand is curled then they have something to grab onto.

More common is to get poked by their tiny, very sharp little toenails! When they are freshly molted (after they shed their skin) their little nails are very pointy and sharp, and sometimes if they grab on to you with those it can really hurt. Of course, we advise not really handling them at all.

How intresting Jenny...Wow! Those bugger's are intricite creature's for sure.

Do you have to trim their nails here and there?

Another quick question, These Strawberry Hermie's are NOT something I would want to get for Owen (3Year Old Son) Right? :unsure: Just from the thread's and posts Iv'e already read from you they seem like they need a lot of care and work.....But...I've been wanting to get something for Owen to have in his room so he can feel like something is just his and his only, Ya know what I mean?

Would the "Regular Hermies" at Wally World be something better suited for him to have in his room? Or should I not go that route at all at this point?

I think all hermit crabs need similar setups and don't really like to be held that much. Another animal like a syrian hamster or guinea pig might be better suited. That way he can interact with it more, and they are easier to care for.

True, But....We already have a dwarf hampster and had a mouse that just passed away a couple day's ago. The one time Owen held the hammie he wanted to squeeeeeze for dear life to keep ahold of her. :o

Freaked me out a bit..I know he woulden't hurt her unpurpose but still don't want to take the risk.

Of course the original plan was that the goldie's were going to be Owen's...But ovioussly that's become Mom's obession now! :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion's Kissy. :)

Hermit crabs need a lot more care than they seem, just like goldfish :D

Guinea pig need a big housing, but a rat or a hamster should be ok to put in a room. But della, why not get him a betta?

I was just gonna mention that Riz..heheh. :) That might work.

We've had it all here, Guinea Pig's, Rat's, Hampster's, Mice, Fish, Dog's, Cat's....It's time that Owen can have something of his own, Of course I plan on helping him being as in he's still a little guy and all..But he'd get a kick out of it. :)

:lol: Its okay Della!! I am not sure about putting something in his room?how old is he? I would suggest a betta too if anything. And yes, definitely not hermits. All hermits are delicate and even the ones you see at WW are tropical/exotic and delicate.

I just dont know how safe it is having a pet in a little kids room. Nothing against Owen of course, just seems like things could easily go wrong there.

Thanks Jenny. :) Owen is 3 1/2 ....Our rooms aren't really "rooms" per-say more of a big loft with a door..He's really close to our room.

A Betta might work..We'll have to look further into that I suppose.

Maybe a Ant-Farm would be a safe bet?! Then again..That could go horribly wrong too!! :lol::yikes

Oh, I totally agree with pet's in kids room's I at first thought he could have the GF in his room, Then hubby pointed out he might climb up and try to look at them and knock the whole shabang over on himself..So I know what ya mean about that.

Aw, thank you! I feel really lucky to have gotten him, too. This friend of mine was majorly into keeping strawberries and had done so much research. But he had an 80 gallon and was moving in with someone for school and just couldnt handle it.

I like the idea of an ant farm!! Those are fun. And even if he tips it a little the sand will just shift but nothing really bad would happen. When I was a kid my dad got me one. But (impatient as always) instead of waiting for the big ants you send away for, my dad and I just went out back and caught our own! But later we realized, hey our ants are too small, and they all escaped into the house!! :rofl

:lol: jen,had to laugh at that one! I was remembering when my son was about 5,and how he let all the Ant's from his sister's ant farm go free... He said that they didn't like it in the ant farm anymore! :rolleyes::rofl Just what Owen needs Dell!