Olive Nerite Snails

Guest Newbi

Guest Newbi

Does anyone have any experience with Olive Nerite snails? If what I have read is correct, they eat many different types of algae, won?t eat live plants, and won?t multiply and take over the fish tank. I?m planning to order some, but thought I?d start by checking to see if anyone here has any first hand knowledge of them.

http://www.azgardens.com/aquarium_snails.php

http://yatfs.com/new_page_11.htm

Guest Newbi

Oh dear. Now I see that there is a forum specifically for snails. I didn't see that at all. Can someone just go ahead and erase these snail posts from this forum? I'll go ahead and repost under "snails" Sorry for all the trouble. I'm a new user and I'm still learning.

:blink: I was wondering why there were so many posts! :lol:

I'll move this thread to the snail section-no need to start another,you have it more than covered. ;)

By the way Newbi,welcome to Koko's! :lol:

Guest Newbi

Too late. I reposted immediately after leaving the last message. Someone will still need to delete one of these threads. Have I caused enough trouble for one day? :blush:

happens to the best of us. ;)

did you read that info on azgardens.com? that was almost verbatim of their sale description of their Neritina reclivata snails. Personally, I've never kept those but a local pet shop here sells Neritina natalensis (much more prettier with their black stripes and scribbled patterns). Oliver Knott, the famous aquatic garden designer uses these snails on all of his planted tanks and swears by them for algae control and non-harm to plants. Olive nerites, I've never seen testimonies for them. :unsure:

They are similar to the reclivata. They are actually a brackish snail and in freshwater they wont reproduce. I had planned to order some for my planted tank, too. They are neat little snails and their shells are so pretty!

I had one for a short while he was an add in from the guy who sent me my plants for my betta tank I gave him to my brother for his betta tank as mine already has a bristlenose pleco. Theya re neat little snails don't know much about them other than what jsrist said about breeding.

Guest Newbi

I did some checking on those Zebra Nerites and they are quite pretty. From what I was able to find, aside from their markings, the two snails have the same characteristics so it looks like I could go either way. I did find mention that they both lay a lot of eggs. I'm a little concerned about that, but it might be worth trying. Apparently the snails only live about a year so if it becomes a problem I just won't replace them. The good thing is the eggs won't hatch and apparently the snails tend to eat them once they've been laid. I even found one mention that hermit crabs will eat the eggs so I suppose I can always harvest them to feed my daughter's crabs.

Thanks for the input.

Zebra Nerite info and photo

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Invertebra...ebra_Nerite.php

Olive Nerite photo

http://www.jaxshells.org/vittar.htm

Guest hayden014

i like them but my mum said no more snails after she found one in her washing basket havent a clue how it got there i have my suspision on my sister

Guest Newbi

Don't blame your sister too quickly. I've read that Nerites have a habit of escaping the tank and crawling off. I may have some stories of my own to tell before the year is out. At least I don't have to worry about my mom complaining.... I AM the mom! :teehee I'll have no one to blame but myself!

I have heard that they are excellent escapees, too! They can live out of water briefly and I guess they try to go exploring. In a fish magazine I was reading that one marine aquarist kept finding them in his hood, dried up by the strong lighting.

• 2 months later...

Hello...seems like the last post on this one was in June this year. Just got myself some Neritina Natalensis this afternoon and thought I made the biggest mistake ever but after reading some of the info here, maybe not.

I bought four of them and are currently in quarantine.

Does anyone know if I should feed them separately? Like a cucumber? Are they okay with Activated Carbon in the aquarium? I read salt is a no-no....so I guess I will have to scoop them out before any medication and stuff.

What is good for them....I guess that is the best question to ask....

Thanx for any help...

Guest DoodleBug

Oh! You got some of the zebras! I DO wish I could find them here.

Personally, I did a LOT of reading about snails before deciding on the nerites. I know a lot of people here like the apple snails. I've never had any myself so I can't speak to them, but I'm really liking my new nerites.

I'm not sure about cucumbers, but Nerites LOVE algae. My snails are very happy little campers right now! I also quarintined my snails before adding them to my main tank. Because there was no algae in the new quarintine tank, I fed them algae wafers. They seemed quite happy with that. Now that they are in my main tank, they have plenty of algae to keep the eating.

nerites' mouths are only adapted to scraping algae from surfaces, which is why planted tank enthusiasts love them (they hardly do any damage to live plants). So, I guess feeding them with a cucumber could be problematic. Thye might be unable to eat it and starve if there's no algae in the tank. Why not try algae wafers instead?

Oh my....I will have to shop for those (algae) asap. I've put my Neritinas (I should start giving them names soon) in quarantine with some plants...don't know if the plants (which are also in quaratine) are giving them enough algae...

Guest DoodleBug

I have carbon inside my canister filter. I didn't realize it could be put directly into the tank. My thinking is, the water is exposed to it either way, so if it's OK in the filter, it should be OK in the tank. But maybe someone else will come along who actually knows something about this question and won't have to speculate like I am.

Hi. Am back....Looking at the quaratine aquarium....I found that the four snails (Neritina) are making quite a bit of "poo" at the bottom of the tank. Also, one of them is right next to the air bubbles...

Now...Does this mean that they make this much mess a lot? Can the filter clean up after them or are the pooh another thing I need to think about should I put them together with the GF? Also...is the one right next to the air bubbles OK or is it just normal?

:(

Guest DoodleBug

The only nerites I can find available for freshwater aquariums here in the U.S. are the olive nerites. (example: http://www.jaxshells.org/vittar.htm ) As you can see, they are fairly plain compared to many of the other nerites. But when chosing a snail, my first priority was characteristics over appearance. I didn't want something that would multiply and take over my tank. And I wanted something that would clean up the algae without eating my live plants. Based on my reading, the nerites were the only snails that appeared to "fit the bill". Once I discovered the nerites, I reseached varieties, hoping to find something more colorful. But the only ones I found were either saltwater snails or only available in Europe. So olive nerites it is.

As for the snail "poo". That's part of the deal. You know what they say...What goes in, must come out! :teehee And snails are hungry little creatures! :feedme When determining tank load, yes, you must allow designated space for each snail. I believe the rule is one snail per gallon. So each snail removes one gallon of tank space from your available fish space. That is why I only have 4 snails, in spite of having a 75 gallon tank. I'm trying to strike a happy balance between keeping the algae under control and still having plenty of room for my fish. They should be fine in with your goldies as long as you keep space requirements in mind and don't overcrowd. As for cleaning up behind them, it's no different than cleaning up behind your fish...a good filtration system and regular cleaning with your siphon. Just make sure you have a hood on your tank. I've read they've been know to crawl off! :yikes

Don't know what the deal is with the one next to the bubbles. Maybe he just wanted a bubble bath! :bath